Local church offers turkey dinner

For some students at the University, going home over Thanksgiving break simply isn’t an option. With campus shut down and few dining options in Tuscaloosa on turkey day, some students may find their Thanksgiving feast comes from a microwave rather than an oven.

However, Calvary Tuscaloosa, a Baptist church near Bryant-Denny Stadium, is offering students the early opportunity for a home-cooked Thanksgiving meal. The annual dinner begins at 4:45 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 20 and is open to the public at the price of $6 for adults, $4 for students and $3 for children.

Calvary Communications Coordinator Kendra Watson said she looks forward to welcoming those outside of the usual congregation to the dinner and recognizing community members who assisted in tornado relief efforts.

“Our mission statement here is to be an all-inclusive community,” Watson said. “And opening this event to the community is part of living that out.”

According to Watson, the night’s attendants tend to be quite eclectic and youthful, and many UA students of the congregation have already registered for the dinner. She said that any students still on-campus can find a warm family environment at Calvary.

“They definitely won’t be alone in their age bracket,” Watson said. “Calvary is truly one of the most open and loving congregations, and because of our proximity to campus, we truly feel a connection to the students.”

Students can register early for the dinner at www.calvarytuscaloosa.org/thanksgiving.