Students are not classless

Cody Jones’s letter to the editor on Monday is everything I hate about Alabama. It’s an absolute joke to complain about how our student section “lacked class” when we beat ourselves on Saturday.

First of all, our student section is awful – not just block seating, nor regular seating, nor the upper deck, but all of it. The upper deck (if it ever fills up) is the first part to empty, block seating is more of a social event than a football game and the regular seats are too irrelevant to make any noise. It’s not intimidating to come into Bryant-Denny, except for this past Saturday.

We were overpoweringly loud and made that place everything it should be on a regular basis.

Pundits at all levels commented that it was the best college atmosphere they had ever seen. We did our part to a T and then we lost. Of course we were angry with the team and the game; we were a bad kicker away from a locked up 14th national championship.

You want us to clap and sing the fight song? Give me a break. This isn’t the PGA Tour – there is no pat on the back for effort. We want to win, that’s our tradition and we aren’t going to settle for anything less.

I hate people who act like this is a polo match in the Hamptons – it’s a football game with men trying to kill each other. Be loud, be nasty and don’t sit there and applaud a losing effort.

Dave Folk is a senior majoring in communication studies.