‘Jump for Tuscaloosa’ event planned for Saturday’s game

Samuel Gardner, a student at The University of Alabama, is behind the “We Believe, Jump for Tuscaloosa” event that is sweeping Facebook.

Gardner created the Facebook event last Monday, and within days, the event page became a hit. Almost 2,000 people have RSVP’d on the event’s page as “Attending.”

Gardner was inspired by a video sent to him by his friend Jordan Golson, an “avid Alabama fan” and student at Auburn University in Montgomery.

“I had hoped it could be turned into something, but initially I just wanted to show Sam something awesome that would be insane to see happen in Bryant-Denny,” said Golson.

The original video is from a Utah State basketball game, where the student section participated in a chant and “jump around.” Gardner changed the words of the chant to “We believe that we will win,” although the jumping remains the same. The chant will begin when the stadium’s countdown clock reaches two minutes, right before kickoff.

Gardner said he hopes that with the participation of the student section, the “We Believe, Jump Around,” as he calls it, will help make Bryant-Denny “the loudest and best stadium in the country.”

“I saw this as an opportunity to show our players how much we believe in them, as they have believed in us all year and have played for 4-27-11 this whole season by dominating opponents week in and week out,” Gardner said. “I want us to ‘jump for Tuscaloosa’ as a way of everyone uniting in a jump to hype up our players, as well as the whole nation watching on TV, and most importantly, for everyone to jump as a community to show that we believe in this city and our University coming back strong through Alabama football and this 2011 season.”

“It’s more than just a chant for the game – it’s about the whole town,” said Golson, who is excited to see that the cheer has become a reality. “There is so much to play for – more than just the game, but for the entire city of Tuscaloosa, the state of Alabama and Alabama fans everywhere.”

Gardner encourages students to attend the pep rally on Friday night at 8 p.m. in front of the stadium, where the new cheers will be taught.

“The players have played for us, so we need to institute something into this one game to show them that we stand behind them 100 percent,” Gardner said.

Students can find out more information through the event’s Facebook page.