Sigma Tau Delta sponsors concert, book drive

A collegiate honors society – especially one centered on world literature – doesn’t often conjure up the same images of manic fun and festivity as its greek brethren. However, Sigma Tau Delta’s University of Alabama chapter aims to exhibit both the fun and the compassion of an English honors society tonight in Tuscaloosa.

Sigma Tau Delta is sponsoring a free 21-and-up concert and book drive at Green Bar downtown tonight at 8 p.m. The idea started last semester as a night when local bars would replace their usual cover charges with donations of children’s books, according to Sigma Tau Delta historian and UA senior Koel Wilton. The April 27 tornado, however, shifted their focus.

Now, the honors society, guided by the ambition to create a culture of community literacy and promote general welfare, consolidated their effort into tonight’s concert. Wilton said their intention is to donate any collected books to an organization, such as the Alabama Black Belt Reading Initiative, who would distribute the books to local Tuscaloosa County schools. Though specifically seeking children’s books, the society will also take donations such as college textbooks as a part of a partnership with online bookseller Better World Books.

“[Sigma Tau Delta wants students] to help out locally and give books,” Wilton said. “But also to come hang out, have fun and get other English majors excited about our honors society.”

They will be taking books and donations throughout the night and feature two local bands.

Sharing the bill with the Birmingham-based “alt folk” band Red Rover is Alabama band Belle Adair. Beginning in Birmingham as a recording project between a few friends, a five-man core came together in the Shoals to record a six-track EP that was released in January, swinging from sugary indie rock to airy acoustic folk.

Frontman Matt Green admits they are technically a rock band, but they try to make it “a little more interesting.”

“As a music listener, I’m interested in lots of kinds of music,” Green said. “I like rock and roll, folk pop, but I love electronic music, classical music and everything else, so we try to be diverse in the instruments and sounds we use.”

According to Green, their set won’t make you too sad or too happy, and, while they play some “rocking” songs, they also aren’t afraid to slow it down in a bar setting.

“You can have a beer and relax and not be assaulted by loud sounds and music,” Green said. “We’re calm and gentlemanly from the stage.”

The Green Bar, which is 21 and up, will have no cover charge and open its doors at 8 p.m. The concert will begin at approximately 10:30 p.m. Belle Adair will also have an in-store performance in Tuscaloosa’s Oz Music at 6 p.m.