Acoustic night attracts local, out-of-state musicians

The Bama Theatre will host Acoustic Night tonight for Tuscaloosa residents to enjoy live music by Tom Evanchuck and Lena Dice.

Tom Evanchuck, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, will perform a series of original songs at Acoustic Night during his tour of the South. His music genre consists of old blues, folk and Americana.

“This is my first time in Alabama, and I am looking forward to the atmosphere. This is where the roots of my music are,” Evanchuck said.

His inspirations for songs come from Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Paul Simon and Neil Young.

The musician got his start at age five, after watching his cousin play the drums. After learning to play the guitar and performing locally, Evanchuck now travels across the U.S.

“Its exciting to play in states I’ve never been before. I’m getting into the fun part now where I get to spread my music,” Evanchuck said. “Musicians strive to play for new audiences, as opposed to trying to impress the same people over and over again.”

Evanchuck performs three to four times a week at different venues in Cleveland, as well as weddings and other parties.

“I’ve learned that it’s possible to be a fulltime musician and travel around,” Evanchuck said. “You can do it.”

David Allgood, manager for The Bama Theatre, said local artists that bring large crowds are often booked with lesser-known out-of-town artists that are of equal caliber.

“People know the high quality of artists that perform here. We have regular attendees from Tuscaloosa that come to every one,” Allgood said.

Lena Dice of Tuscaloosa will be performing a mixture of original and cover songs.

“I’m more of a cover type girl. I’ve written my own songs, but I’m a perfectionist, so they are not ever finished,” Dice said.

Inspired by her dad’s college band, Dice first started playing the mandolin and eventually moved to the guitar and singing. At age 16, she performed at an open mic night at Capture Studio Café and has been performing live ever since.

“It takes a lot of heart and time. I’ve been really busy, but if you want it bad enough, you can do it,” Dice said.

Her favorite artists for inspiration include Regina Spektor, Adele and the Avett Brothers.

“I am going all out for Acoustic Night. I will be performing a duet with Connor Simpson of Adele’s ‘Someone Like You,’” Dice said. “It’s a little risky because it’s Adele, and she is an amazing artist, but we are taking a different approach and hope the audience likes it.”

Dice will also play two of her original songs that evening.

“I choose what songs I play based on what they say. It usually conveys how I am feeling,” Dice said. “It’s another way to express your thoughts through music and doing something you love.”

Acoustic Night was started five years ago by a student in the UA Creative Writing Department and has since drawn crowds as large as 100 to the shows.

The event will take place in the Greensboro Room of the Bama Theatre and will have a cash bar and casual café atmosphere.

“The interaction between the audience is very intimate,” Allgood said. “It’s like someone bringing a guitar and keyboard into your house. It’s so much better than a bar.”

Doors open at 7 p.m., and tickets will cost $5. All proceeds will go directly to the artists.

“We encourage UA students to come and enjoy the music,” Allgood said. “Acoustic Night promotes original musicians and offers something different to the community.”

For more information, visit www.bamatheatre.org.