Nicole Mixon

Nicole+Mixon

It’s been six months since the University lost six classmates due to the April 27 storms. Nonetheless, each student has left a lasting impression and their lights still shine today. Melanie “Nicole” Mixon was a junior accounting major and an honor student.

Following graduation from Minor High School in 2008, Mixon completed her business associates degree at Jeff State Community College in 2010. While at JSCC, she graduated magna cum laude and was a member of Phi Theta Kappa international honor society. After leaving her mark in her hometown, Mixon moved on to begin her college career on The Capstone.

“Nicole had this positive attitude that was infectious,” said Jill Hershman, president of Golden Key International Honor Society. “She would walk into the room and the mood would instantly become happier.”

Mixon was involved in a number of organizations on campus including Golden Key and Gamma Phi Beta sorority. She stepped in as treasurer for Golden Key during her first year in the club and was elected as Vice President for this year.

“Nicole was like a breath of fresh air,” said Golden Key advisor Lynn Hamric. “Immediately upon joining Golden Key she became an active member and inspired others to enjoy membership opportunities. She approached service projects with the same determination as she did academics.”

Hershman said, “Nicole had great ideas that improved our Golden Key chapter. She was elected Vice-President due to her leadership skills and her motivation. She is greatly missed.”

Hershman said the society will recognize Mixon during the scholarship presentation at its induction ceremony in November.

Mixon was a 2010 initiate into the Epsilon Lambda chapter of Gamma Phi Beta.

“Nicole was the most amazing person and definitely not someone that will ever become forgotten,” Lauren Whitten, president of the chapter, said in a statement. “In our organization our mission is to promote the highest type of womanhood, and I can honestly say that not only did she achieve that, she inspired each and every one of us as well as everyone she encountered to achieve as well. Nicole was one of the most beloved sisters of our chapter and will be deeply missed.

Many people that were around Mixon attest to her joy, dedication and positivity. “Nicole was one of the most incredible people you could have ever met,” Hershman said. “Always with the brightest smile on her face, she lit up everyone’s day. Never could I walk into our chapter house and see her and not feel warmth inside. She was not only our sister, but our best friend.”

Hamric said, “Following the last regular Golden Key meeting, Nicole wanted to stay and talk with me. We visited for over an hour. She shared much about her life growing up and family background as well as her aspirations. Her life was cut short for a reason and it is not mine to question why but rather to see her short life as an example for me to strive to follow. I know her parents are proud of her. UA GK is proud to have had her as a member. Personally, Nicole Mixon is a young woman I would be proud to call daughter.”