Hatred, anger won’t help University

If a visiting student were to pick up a copy of The Crimson White, what would they read? They would see words like “leadership” and “innovation” that symbolize the positive growth of our campus. Words that are more likely to jump off the page, though, are “separation” and “corruption.”

But the words that will really turn them away from this university are those of the people who claim to be spearheading positive growth.

There is a way you can challenge another’s opinion or belief without being condescending and hateful. You must first consider the opinion of others just as you are asking them to consider yours. Starting with an attack on someone else’s ideas only creates an argument, and what we need is discussion.

The opinions and ideas that are most effective are the ones rooted out of a genuine desire to positively influence change around them. The arguments that are centered around proving someone else wrong verses introducing an innovative idea accomplish nothing but increasing an unnecessary animosity.

It’s hard to take someone seriously when they spend 700 words on why the other person sucks and that what they are saying is stupid.

How about instead, you give us something to work with. Maybe an idea or a way in which you could make the solution better.

I do understand disagreement, though, and it is completely sensible to address something or someone you disagree with.

However, wasting words and solely directing them at the other person’s misgivings and faults won’t do much for you, either; it will only create animosity that will continue to grow.

When a visiting high school student picks up the publication that should be reflective of the student body that writes for and reads it, what will they really see? Will they see people who are proud of their school, or words that only express contentment for its future?

I’m tired of reading words of hate, and I’m not the only one who feels that way. Hatred and anger will do nothing in building this University to be the better place we claim we want it to be.

Once we accept that we will not be able to get everything the way we want, we can start working towards something called a compromise. Compromise is necessary for growth; it shows maturity and understanding.

SoRelle Wyckoff is a junior majoring in history and journalism. Her column runs weekly on Mondays.