Alabama soccer prepares for Senior Night against Kentucky

Austin Hannon, Staff Reporter

In their second-to-last home game of the season, the Alabama women’s soccer team (8-7-1, 3-3-1) will host the Kentucky Wildcats (6-8-2, 0-7) for Senior Night.

The Crimson Tide will recognize seniors Riley Tanner and Kat Rogers, as well as graduate students McKinley Crone, Riley Mattingly, Brooke Bollinger and Ashlynn Serepca.

It will also be “Pups at the Pitch.” Fans are permitted to bring their furry friends as long as they fill out a waiver beforehand.

Last week, Alabama drew 1-1 against Texas A&M, earning its first points on the road this season.

Kentucky has yet to earn any points in conference play this season, currently sitting at 0-7. The Wildcats have scored three goals in their first seven SEC matches. Kentucky’s last win came Sept. 19 against Bellarmine University.

Kentucky scored 27 goals in their nine nonconference games. 

Just five days ago, Kentucky fired head coach Ian Carry, who was in his fifth season with Kentucky. It will be the first game in charge for interim head coach Paul Babba. Babba has been coaching college soccer for over a decade.

In what has been a tough season for the Wildcats, they have a bright spot in forward Jordyn Rhodes. Rhodes is second in the SEC with 25 points. She has 10 goals and five assists, and she scored a hat trick against Marshall in August.

Forward Hannah Richardson has scored eight times and assisted twice.

The Crimson Tide and Wildcats have not met since 2018. That match resulted in a 4-3 win for Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

“Excited to get back home, where we’ve been quite good this year,” head coach Wes Hart said. “Kentucky has struggled with results, but they have some very dangerous players. I believe we will have a lot of the ball and a lot of territory in this game, but they are good enough to punish us if we are not prepared.”

The match is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. CT. The seniors will be recognized prior to the game, which will be broadcast on SEC Network Plus.