Tide women prepare for rest of season

Because the Southeastern Conference is one of the most competitive women’s tennis conferences in the country, there is no doubt that every team needs leadership.

Four teams from the SEC – Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Arkansas – are all ranked in the top 25, with Florida at No. 1.

“I think we’re up there with Florida and Georgia,” UA player Alexa Guarachi said. “We just have to believe it.”

Guarachi plays both singles and doubles on the team, and playing both gives her more experience on the court.

“For me, it helps me a lot playing doubles and singles because we play doubles first, and it kind of gets you ready for singles,” Guarachi said.

Depth is a key component for a team in any sport, and with five starters back from last year, head coach Jenny Mainz expects big things from her girls this season.

“Any time for two or three solid years, you’ve got the top part of your lineup back, and they’re experienced, they’ve got maturity…I certainly think they’re very capable,” Mainz said.

Junior Antonia Foehse is coming off a comeback win from this weekend’s Roberta Alison Fall Classic. She lost her first set 6-2 but then rebounded by winning the next two 6-0, 6-2. Mainz said she could carry that momentum throughout the season.

“She could be an impact, a pivotal player this fall and this spring,” Mainz said. “I think it would be really exciting to see her go into regionals and do some damage.”

Although the Crimson Tide has five starters back this year, they also lost two seniors. However, the Tide has High School All-American Emily Zabor to help fill their shoes. Mainz said she has been very impressed with the freshmen so far.

“She is the most coachable, enthusiastic, eager – just everything you would want in a teammate, in a player, in a student athlete,” Mainz said. “I really think it’s her intent to get better every day.”

The Crimson Tide plays this weekend, Oct. 21-24, in Birmingham in the 2011 USTA/ITA Southern Regional Championships.