Immigration bill crosses line

A week ago, the Tuscaloosa News printed an article titled, “Immigrants fearing deportation make plans for kids.” My first thought was that the title was merely stating the obvious.

Wasn’t this “fear” that is being felt by members of our community, though maybe not legal, the purpose of HB-56? What this article did illustrate was that this bill’s effects are widespread across our state, and not just as simple as ensuring that illegal immigrants are brought to “justice.”

With the current state of the American economy, it is completely understandable for citizens and lawmakers alike to not want to provide for people who are not legal citizens of our country.

This is an idea I not only understand, but also agree with. It is a ridiculous concept that a nation in as much debt as we are at the moment should be expected to pump out money in the direction of illegal aliens.

But what about the other side of it? As so many have used as a defense, it is true that in many cases illegal immigrants who work in jobs in our community do not pay taxes directly out of their paycheck, there are other areas where they must be subjected to the same standards as legal citizens.

Sales and property taxes, which bring the most amount of revenue to the state, are still obviously paid no matter if you’re in our state legally or illegally.

So what happens if 4 percent of a states population is no longer here to pay the two taxes that bring the most amount of revenue to the state? You don’t have to be an economics major to understand that the amount of money coming in from both of these taxes drops substantially as a result.

This economic effect is not even including the massive hit that the agriculture, landscaping, food service, maintenance, and construction fields have taken due to workers not showing up to work, and the boycotts in these industries that have taken place in reaction to the bill.

But the social impact that comes along with this bill is the most concerning aspect. Though last week a federal court struck down the parts that were the most unsettling, including the requirement for state officials to check the immigration status of students in public schools, the underlying social effects are still evident.

Parents, concerned about the possibility of being forced to no longer live in our country, must make plans and arrange legal documents to allow friends and family to take custody of their children who are considered legal residents because they were born here. This problem arises only because parents want their children to have a better life, the life in which they were seeking in coming to our great country. This law forces many to worry about the future of not only themselves, but their own children’s as well.

There are other social implications from this bill. Victims of crimes are now hesitant to go to the authorities because of the fear of being deported by simply reporting the crime. No matter a person’s legal status, they should not be afraid to approach the police about a crime in which they were the victims in the state of Alabama.

I am an advocate of initiatives that decrease and/or completely stop illegal immigration, so in that aspect I do agree with our states commitment towards enforcing federal laws against illegal immigration. But this bill steps over the line.

As a nation built on strong morals and freedom, I do not believe we as Americans can support laws that encourage racial profiling and instill fear into the daily lives of individuals who simply wish to build a better life for themselves and their families.

In the end, this bill has mostly only inspired negative responses from across the nation, including appeals of the law from numerous bodies including religious groups, civil rights groups, the Mexican government and our own federal government.

Is the social, economic and legal implications of this bill really worth having the toughest immigration law in the nation?

Brad Tipper is a sophomore majoring in political science and economics. His column runs biweekly on Wednesdays.