Tide looking to overcome slow starts

Harish Rao

Defense working to eliminate big plays

Alabama puts an emphasis on the fourth quarter and finishing games. But lately, the issue hasn’t been with the fourth quarter, but the first drive of the first quarter.          Two weeks ago against Florida, John Brantley connected with Andre Dubose on a 65-yard touchdown pass on the first play of the game, and on Saturday, Ole Miss quarterback Randall Mackey hit Nickolas Brassell for a 59-yard gain that set up the Rebels’ first score of the game.

“It’s kind of bitter to us,” senior defensive lineman Josh Chapman said. “You don’t want to give up any thing. We take it personally, but also, that’s a big play, let’s get rid of it and respond from it and we responded well.”

And respond they have. Both games ended up being decisive Tide victories, but it is still something the team is looking to eliminate.

“It’s like a slap in the face,” linebacker Nico Johnson said. “And to give up a touchdown on a mental error, I can see if they earned a touchdown, yeah, we can live with it, but giving it up on a mental error, no, it’s discouraging.”

Richardson, team not focused on Heisman

Trent Richardson is putting on a Heisman-worthy performance through seven games this season. The junior is ahead of the pace that Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram was on at this time two years ago in most statistical categories.

But don’t think that the players and coaches are thinking much about it.

“Trent’s a great player, he’s one of the best players in the country. Whatever awards they give at the end of the season, he certainly should be considered for any and all of them he qualifies for,” head coach Nick Saban said. “But for right now, we’re thinking about what we need to do right now. We’re not concerned about that stuff.”

Trent’s run draws praise from Saban

Every Heisman campaign has its signature moment, and Richardson had his on Saturday. In the middle of the third quarter, Richardson broke off a 76-yard touchdown run that included a broken tackle, speed down the field, and an ankle-breaking move on a freshman defensive back.

“I really was amazed with not only the ability to make the run, but the tenacity and toughness that Trent played with the entire game,” Saban said of the play. “He made a great individual effort to make people miss, and that’s what great players do. They make plays above and beyond.”

Chance Warmack has best game

Junior offensive lineman Chance Warmack was recognized by the Alabama coaches as one of their three offensive players of the week.

“Chance has played better and better and better each week and probably just had his best game,” Saban said. “I think that our offensive line has improved, and as they’ve improved, we’ve improved as an offensive unit and Chance is a big part of that.”

Linebacker Dont’a Hightower goes against Warmack in practice and knows how tough it is to beat him.

“We always have to keep our eye on Chance. Chance is that one guy that you absolutely have to go full speed on,” he said. “I feel kind of sorry for opposing team’s linebackers.”