Expeditions fills niche with outdoor apparel available on the strip

Runners and outdoor enthusiasts now have a store near campus where they can purchase outdoor apparel. Expeditions, which opened this week, has lifestyle and outdoor clothing for college students and adults of all ages.

“There aren’t any running stores around campus, and you see people running all the time. We are meeting those people’s needs by providing running shoes and athletic apparel,” said Taylor Callaway, Expeditions’ marketing director.

Expeditions also provides University of Alabama apparel and accessories, boutique-style dresses for girls and dress clothing for guys.

This weekend Expeditions will host its grand opening, giving out door prizes and providing 10 percent off all items for UA student shoppers.

The store is located at 1201 University Blvd. across from Buffalo Phil’s, in the former location of The Booth.

Expeditions aims to appeal to the college student who wants to stay fit and be active.

“My favorite thing about Expeditions is the actual surrounding and setting of the store,” said Dannon Bedwell, UA graduate and Expeditions employee.

They chose the location because of its proximity to the University’s campus, making it accessible to students.

Robert Tanner will manage the store, which is open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays.

“Sixty percent of Expeditions will be devoted to apparel and 40 percent to footwear,” Jeff Gale, Expeditions’ official buyer, told The Tuscaloosa News.

Gale has chosen the brands of Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Mountain Khakis, Lucky Jeans and Stretch Jeans for the store. Its footwear brands include Sperry, Clarks, Saucony, Newton, Pearl Izumi, Nocona Western-style boots and Ugg and Frye women’s boots.

Expeditions is one of two exclusive sellers of Southern Marsh’s University of Alabama T-shirt. Southern Marsh makes T-shirts that feature their logo and a duck. Courtney Kovar, another of Expeditions’ employees, designed a red shirt with a houndstooth print duck to apply specifically to the University of Alabama.

On Oct. 29, Newton, one of the shoe brands Expeditions carries, is also hosting a try-on experience at the store from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Anyone can come to be fitted and then go run one mile in the shoes to try them out.