Ambassadors introduce greek life

Thousands of freshmen come to the University of Alabama each fall interested in getting involved with greek life but with little or no idea what to expect. The UA Greek Ambassador Program is working to help incoming students by introducing this part of campus to them and their parents.

The Greek Ambassadors Program is an initiative aimed at getting current UA fraternity and sorority members involved in recruiting the next generation of UA greeks, as well as providing information to students and parents interested in the UA greek community, said Matt Calderone, president of the program.

“Greek Ambassadors will meet with these students to talk about campus life, the greek community and give them a tour of the campus and greek houses,” Calderone said.

Being chosen to represent the greek community to incoming freshmen offers opportunities beyond showing chapter houses and the campus.

According to the Greek Life page of UA’s website, ambassadors conduct tours and have opportunities throughout the year for personal, professional and leadership development opportunities.

“It’s an important program, because it gives us an opportunity to show parents and freshmen all the good the greek community does and all it brings to the table,” said Breanna Thackerson, a senior majoring in journalism.

Tours are also open to upperclassmen, Thackerson said.

A rigorous application and selection process ensures that not just any greek member on campus can be an ambassador. Though the selection process, an elite group of students who are well qualified to represent the greek community are chosen.

“People in different greek organizations apply and are selected by a committee for interviews in October,” Thackerson said. “If your interview goes well, then you have to learn about the greek system at Alabama and pass a test covering the information before you can even begin giving tours.”

Although last year was the program’s pilot year, results are already apparent.

“Greek Ambassadors has already provided tours of the UA campus and greek community to over 200 individuals interested in UA greek life,” Calderone said. “It is my hope that UA Greek Ambassadors can continue to provide tours and information to every potential UA student who seeks such information.”

The program represents every council present at the University, including National Pan-Hellenic Council, United Greek Council, Panhellenic, and Interfraternity Council. The variety of councils makes it possible for all interested students to get a view of what greek life might be like, regardless of what council they want to join. Any member of the greek community may apply, and applications were due in September.

The sense of satisfaction for Calderone doesn’t just come from helping incoming potential greek students and their parents.

“The most rewarding part about being a Greek Ambassador is that you are truly making a contribution towards the sustainability and success of not only the greek community, but the University of Alabama as well,” he said.