Beat Auburn Beat Hunger set to kick off

The Community Service Center and the West Alabama Food Bank are teaming up to host the annual food drive competition to fight hunger while competing against Auburn University. The Beat Auburn Beat Hunger Kick off festivities begin Monday, Oct. 10.

“Beat Auburn Beat Hunger is one of the oldest traditions and most unifying things on campus that allows students to give back to the community that is in such great need,” said Charlotte Brown, CSC student director for hunger and homelessness.

At 11 a.m. there will be music, food, giveaways and Big Al in the Ferguson Center Plaza marking the beginning of the food drive. Students can stop by the Plaza or Reese Phifer and make a donation towards the pie-throwing contest.

Contestants for the contest include Shane Sharpe, dean of the Honors College, and Barrett Jones, offensive lineman on the football team. The contestant with the most money in their jar will receive a pie in the face on Oct. 12 at noon in the Ferg Plaza. The person who donates the most will throw the pie.

“I would like to see students and student organizations come out and start the food competition off strong and come out, spread the word around campus and get energized for the six weeks ahead of us,” Brown said.

All proceeds from UA go to the West Alabama Food Bank and donations from Auburn go to the East Alabama Food Bank.

“The West Alabama Food Bank helps the Tuscaloosa community, but it also helps the counties surrounding Tuscaloosa, as well,” said Wahnee Sherman, director of the CSC. “This is a wonderful way for students to get involved in a very practical way. Students have been so great since the tornado; this is another way for them to continue what they’ve already done and to make an impact here in Tuscaloosa and the surrounding area.”

Each year, the sponsoring groups try to implement new activities for students to get involved in. On Monday, there will be the Stamp Out Hunger letter-writing campaign in Gorgas Library Room 205 from 6 to 10 p.m. Participants can personalize letters and emails and send them to family members and friends. There will be refreshments and prizes for the student who sends the most letters and/or emails. All envelopes and stamps will be provided, along with the pre-made letter.

The 5K race will take place Nov. 6 and is open to everyone in the community. Registration forms can be found on the BABH website, beatauburnbeathunger.ua.edu.

The creation of volunteer committees has also been added to the mix.

“Having the committees helps a lot more people get involved,” Sherman said. “We know that people want to give donations every year, but this is another way for them to get involved and really feel like they’re helping out, because we need their help. We want more people to feel involved and invested in the process.”

Students can sign up to volunteer on the BABH website.

BABH will run until Nov. 18, and the winner of the competition will be announced at the Iron Bowl in Auburn. According to Brown, 13 of the 17 BABH winners have gone on to win the game. Although Alabama came in second place last year with nearly 220,000 pounds of food, the University met its goal. This year, Brown said the goal is 250,000 pounds.

Donations can be made around campus, in the community and also via text message. For more information on BABH, visit beatauburnbeathunger.ua.edu.