Tide splits SEC opening weekend

The University of Alabama women’s soccer team split its first Southeastern Conference games with a win against Vanderbilt and a loss against Kentucky.

“Everyone wanted to do well and get the ball,” senior Veronika Wolfkeil said. “It’s the SEC and we’re ready for it.”

The Crimson Tide lost against Kentucky 4-1 on Sunday.

The Tide received five yellow cards and two red cards in the game against goalkeeper Justine Bernier and forward Janea Simpson. Both players will have to sit out the next game against Mississippi State on Friday.

Head coach Todd Bramble received a red card, but it is still in question since it was received after the game.

Kentucky received two yellow cards, with a total of seven yellow throughout the game.

“It was a tough game,” Wolfkeil said. “We fought really hard the first half and in the second half we faced a lot of adversity. All we can do is control the things we can.”

University of Kentucky’s Kelsey Hunyadi scored twice against the Tide in the 47th minute and on a penalty kick.

The Tide got on the score sheet when redshirt freshman Theresa Diederich scored on a penalty kick in the 82nd minute.

Kentucky’s Caitlin Landis scored the final two goals of the game to defeat the Tide 4-1. The win takes Kentucky’s record to 8-2-0.

The Tide won its first game in the Southeastern Conference, shutting out Vanderbilt 2-0 on Friday.

Sophomore Molly Atherton scored her first career goal off of a corner kick in the game.

“It feels good to get on the point sheet,” Atherton said. “I’m excited about this first one to break the seal.”

Freshman Pia Rijsdijk scored on an open net after receiving a pass from sophomore Kendall Khanna.

“I was set up really well,” Khanna said. “We had been working all week on going all the way to the end line and passing it back in front of the goal. I stayed composed and passed it back to Pia and luckily, she was there.”

Bernier recorded her fourth shutout of the season with the win.

“Getting a shutout is a big deal,” Atherton said. “It gives our back line and goalkeeper confidence. We just hope to pull out some more.”

The Tide will travel to play Mississippi State on Friday and to Ole Miss on Sunday.