Pulling the Race Card – Again

In response to the article about barriers in the rush process, you need to look at all the options before pulling the race card. It stated that there were 77 people who did not receive a bid. Were they all black?

Maybe you just didn’t match with a house. You even stated that you weren’t going to pledge. Why are you complaining? You got what you needed out of the process. There’s nothing wrong with not being accepted into that group but justifying your anger by blaming it on race is an injustice to yourself.

Comparing yourself to an experience eleven years ago sounds like you’re trying to make race the issue. You are both individuals and the only similarity is your race and rejection from rush. From the case eleven years ago, she never considered race the problem until someone else mentioned it to her.  The second time she went through the rush process, she had a camera crew following her. While racism does exist, it is overused as an excuse in today’s society.

Saying “something seemed wrong” during the rush process is normal. Rush is a crazy process that tries to match girls to the best house possible-it’s not going to be perfect.

Before you start making the claim of racism, evaluate all the other possibilities. Life is going to be unfair, but is a newspaper article really necessary every time there is a possible tension?

Sydney Cowley is a sophomore majoring in international studies and economics.