It’s not you, Block Seating. It’s me.

Watching a relationship crumble into relationship rubble has few positives, but one of them is some form of entertainment. The level of entertainment depends on how dramatic the separate individuals are and how well known the couple is.

Fortunately for us, we have been entertained quite a bit in the past few weeks by one of the University of Alabama’s oldest and most endearing couples. In addition to their high profile relationship, one of the lovers in the struggling triangle is not only dramatic, but close-minded and unnecessarily stubborn.

But whatever, these personality cons only increase our entertainment value.

After a long, steady relationship, Bryant-Denny Stadium and “Student Organization Seating” (aka, block seating) seem to be on the rocks; we’ve seen their scandal sprayed across the pages of this paper for weeks.

Attempts to salvage this relationship have been offered by the always optimistic SGA and University faculty, but it seems like this relationship has been questionable long before their troubles went public.

I am by no means a relationship expert, but after watching the interaction between Bryant-Denny and block seating, I can’t say I’m surprised. Block seating’s behavior choices have been questionable, and quite frankly, she’s getting old.

Perhaps it’s time for Bryant-Denny to move on to someone younger, someone who can still show him a good time and make him feel passionate again.

First come, first serve, fair seating is calling Bryant-Denny’s name. Curling a red painted fingernail toward him, tempting him just enough to consider breaking up with his girlfriend of old and moving on to quite possibly something better.

So, let’s cross the fence to the promised land of equality. Anyone who’s an Alabama student can sit here, right?

I mean, I just want to watch the nation’s greatest football team annihilate a Division II paid opponent. I feel unwelcomed in block seating because my organization doesn’t have a section (only male-dominated organizations count, anyways), and God forbid I step on someone’s toes by standing in their section. I’m told that the bleachers on the other side of the fence are shinier anyway. The land of idealistic equality always wins.

Steely eyes and a “sorry, these seats are taken,” push over my first attempt. Fair enough, seat saved, no harm, no foul.  But when it keeps happening again and again, I’m starting to realize my “Greek letter, Greek letter, Greek letter hearts the tide” pin is giving off radioactive waves.

“Why don’t you just go sit in the greek section, that’s what it’s there for right?” And there it is.

So general student seating is not as charming as she advertised. She seemed so genuine, and watching her and Bryant-Denny, I thought I saw a connection.  If she just gave Bryant-Denny a chance, I know they’d hit it off.

Maybe all I need to do is sit down with general student seating and give her a few tips on getting back in the game. A little reminder of her potential will give her the confidence and charm needed to win over the heart of Bryant-Denny. She has been single for around forty years after all; the dating game has different rules now.

Be open minded, general student seating. I know my experiences with you are not representative of your entire personality, but it’s time to trim the negative fat and be genuinely open to the idea of sitting with groups and organizations that currently dominate the block seating side of the fence.

Changes in the rules or the “Student Organization Seating Handbook” won’t do anything if there isn’t a change in attitude first. If change is what you’re asking for, then you need to be ready and open minded for change to occur.

We are Alabama students first; members of our separate organizations, second. If we can’t grasp that idea, we aren’t going to get anywhere.

Student Organization Seating, don’t take it personally. It’s not you, it’s Bryant-Denny; it’s also 2011, and time for some change.

They always say breaking up is hard to do.

SoRelle Wycoff is a junior majoring in history and English. Her column runs on Mondays.