Walk-on deserves scholarship

Over the course of the past few football seasons, the Tide faithful have become familiar with an undersized safety known as Will Lowery. The junior from Hoover has flourished as the dime-back in one of the most dominant defenses in the country for the past two years.

While dime-back is technically not a “starting” position, Lowery is a pivotal part of the Tide defense. Mark Barron and Robert Lester are the starters in the base defense; Lowery is on the field every series occupying the back of the defense as a “center-field”-type player. He has also been a mainstay on virtually every special teams formation for the past two seasons.

What he lacks in size, he compensates with quickness and knowledge of the defense.

In 2010, Lowery amassed 33 tackles and two interceptions as a dime-back, while also starting at free-safety in the Capital One Bowl. Lowery has already accumulated six tackles in the first two games of 2011.

The important thing to note is that Will Lowery has established himself as a presence in the Alabama secondary, and he has done it all while not being a scholarship player.

As opposed to approximately 90 percent of the contributors on offense, defense, and special teams, Lowery is a walk-on. He did not receive any visits from the Alabama coaching staff during high school. He did not hold a grandiose press conference to announce his college destination.

Will Lowery is on the team because he loves the game, and he loves the University of Alabama. Meanwhile, he has received nothing from the University for his contributions to the team. After a quick analysis of the roster, it can be determined that Lowery contributes more than 50 scholarship players.

The current second-string punter is on scholarship, while Lowery pays his own way. This wouldn’t be near as bad if the starting punter, who is also a walk-on, was not averaging a dismal and embarrassingly low 38.9 yards a punt.

Obviously, working the scholarship numbers is an exact art that takes time and precision. I do not know why some players have scholarships and some do not, as that information is not given to the public.

I also do not know if the Lowery family volunteered to pay their son’s tuition out of the spirit and love for the Crimson Tide. If they did, than all power to them and my hat is off to their sacrifice and selflessness.

The point still stands that their son deserves a scholarship. A two-year starter for a top-five defense deserves recognition and reward for his accomplishments.

Hopefully, after another year occupying the back of the Tide secondary, Will Lowery will turn a few more heads.

Maybe, after two full years of solid contributions, Lowery will be lumped into the elite category of the 85 most valuable players on the team.

Until then, expect to see one of the best walk-ons in the country continue to make a name for himself week in and week out, while not asking for anything in return.

Jake Gray is a senior majoring in economics and journalism. His column runs on Tuesdays.