Penn State students host happy hour for out-of-towners

Sportsmanship is often forgotten during football game weekends, but not when Alabama plays Penn State.

This weekend, Tide fans making the haul to Pennsylvania will be greeted by the PRIDE Penn State Sportsmanship Team, who has joined with the Penn State Alumni Association to host a casual meet-and-greet happy hour for Alabama fans on Friday from 5-7 p.m. The meet-and-greet will be at the Adam’s Apple at the Tavern on East College Avenue, a venue Penn Staters believe will give out-of-towners a feel for the town.

“[The Tavern] is the epitome of State College when you think of classic Penn State restaurants,” said Caitlin Rush, public relations director of PRIDE and a senior at Penn State.  “Student leaders and alumni will be there, and we’ll be happy to answer questions and give recommendations about how you should spend your weekend.”

After attending the game in Tuscaloosa last year and being very pleased with her schoolmates’ reception, Rush said she wanted to return the favor of respecting the other team.

“From the second we got into town, fans and alum were beyond nice,” Rush said. “People invited us to their tailgates, and the hotel even gave us a fruit basket.  The stereotype of southern hospitality was very alive. “

Parker Graham, a sophomore at Alabama majoring in chemical engineering, said the combination of two storied football programs helps foster the courteous atmosphere.

“Both schools are rich in tradition and have a huge amount of respect for one another,” Graham said.  “I wish I was going up there this year.”

Rush said PRIDE and all Penn State fans will be working to fulfill a special line of their Alma Mater:  “May no act of ours bring shame.”

“We love our football,” Rush said.  “But we’re hoping that, regardless of what goes on in that 60 minutes of game time, the respect will still be there.”