Growth in numbers and quality

I would like to respond to the editorial written by SoRelle Wyckoff in the Aug. 29 edition of the CW. Ms. Wyckoff states that “there are ways to build a university without building numbers. Instead of lowering our standards to raise our numbers, how about we raise our standards and let the numbers fall in line on their own.”

When President Witt established an enrollment goal shortly after arriving at The University of Alabama in March 2003, we made a commitment to the faculty that our emphasis would be on planned growth with quality. We pledged to work aggressively to attract the best and brightest students. If you examine the record, you will find that we have done precisely what we set out to do.

Here are some facts that the author should have researched before she came to her erroneous conclusions:

In fall 2003, the average ACT for the entering freshman class was in the top 25 percent. In fall 2010, the average ACT was in the top 15 percent. In fall 2003, only 505 freshmen ranked academically in the top five percent in the nation on the ACT, while 1,436 or one out of every four freshmen in the class entering in fall 2010 ranked in the top five percent nationally. In fall 2003, 24 percent of the freshman class was in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class; in fall 2010, 44 percent were in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class.

In fall 2003, 34 freshmen were National Merit Scholars. In Fall 2010, 128 members of the freshman class were National Merit Scholars. The University of Alabama’s fall 2010 freshman class ranked 6th in the nation among public universities in the enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

For the fall 2003 entering class, UA accepted 85 percent of the students who applied. Each year since that time, the percent of applicants who were admitted has gradually decreased. For fall 2010, only 55 percent of those who applied were accepted. The University of Alabama is the most selective institution in the state of Alabama.

In fall 2003, we did not have an Honors College. Today, Honors College provides an environment where the best and brightest students can thrive while enjoying the benefits of studying at a large public research university. In fall 2010, 1,357 freshmen (24 percent of the freshman class) and 4,673 undergraduates (19 percent of the undergraduate student body) were enrolled in Honors College.

While enrollment figures for fall 2011 will not be available until later in September, enrollment reached a record high of 30,232 for fall 2010. The entering freshman class, at 5,563 students, was the largest in UA history and included more than 1,395 students who had a 4.0 or higher high school grade point average. For the fourth straight year, the incoming freshman class embodied record-breaking academic quality. And, while the profile of the freshman class of fall 2010 was impressive, when the academic profile of the freshman class of fall 2011 is available, you will see that it is even more impressive.

The University of Alabama has produced a total of 15 Rhodes Scholars. And, in the past 25 years, UA has produced 34 Goldwater Scholars, 21 Hollings Scholars and seven Truman Scholars. UA scored a perfect four out of four with Goldwater Scholars in 2011 as all four UA students who applied were named recipients of the elite academic award.

The University of Alabama led the nation with a record 10 students named to USA Today’s 2010 All-USA College Academic Team. UA has had great success in placing students on this national team that honors the “best of the best” undergraduate academic all-stars from across the nation, having placed 46 students on the team since 2003. In addition to this year, UA also had the most students on the list in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009 and tied for the top spot in 2007.

Clearly and increasingly, students and their parents from across the nation recognize the quality and value of an education from The University of Alabama. UA has planned carefully for our growth in both numbers and quality, adding nationally recognized faculty, state-of-the-art facilities and outstanding support functions to provide an excellent education for all students.

In fact, our carefully planned enrollment growth has provided substantial benefits to our students during this time of economic downturn. Despite significant cuts in our state appropriations for the past three years, we continue to use our resources effectively and efficiently. As a result, we have not reduced the number of students we accept; students have full access to the classes they need to graduate; we are fully staffed to meet student expectations; and classes are taught by fully qualified and nationally recognized faculty.

UA continues to provide the opportunities that enrich students’ educational experiences inside and outside the classroom. At a time when other universities in other states are cutting back (number of students admitted, courses offered, etc), UA and our students are thriving.

Judy Bonner, Ph.D, serves as Executive Vice President and Provost for the University of Alabama.

#UAgrowth