Marching into a new season

On fall Saturdays they stand in the tunnel with their teammates. The steady roar of 100,000 eager voices quickens their hearts and churns their stomachs. One last glance over equipment and uniforms. One last review of formations. But they don’t check shoulder pads or go over a 3-4 defense. Rather, they test their tubas and envision their place in Bama’s spelling.

The University of Alabama’s Million Dollar Band will kick off their season this Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Their halftime show will feature the sounds of Elvis Presley and will culminate in a special tribute to the city of Tuscaloosa. Like the football team, band members are continuing a tradition much older than themselves.

“All of us who work with the bands are stewards of a great tradition at the University,” said Kenneth Ozzello, director of bands and professor of music.

While many of the band members have marched into Bryant-Denny for years, some aren’t quite as used to the sights and sounds of such a venue. In fact, the freshmen members have been with the band for only a matter of weeks. Despite their short tenure, the band’s youngest musicians already feel like part of a family.

“The first time we actually played together I could feel the camaraderie,” said Connor Fox, a freshman alto saxophone player majoring in public relations. “Listening to that powerhouse of sound all around me let me know that I was officially here.”

Fox and his classmates have grown accustomed to daily practices from 4 to 5:30 p.m., but even the director contends that nothing can fully prepare them for Saturday.

“Its an eye-opening experience for the new members,” Ozzello said. “But they’ll work hard to keep their assignments straight. Hopefully it’ll be habit at that point.”

If they are nervous, first-year band members can always fall back on the wisdom of the upperclassmen. Josh Langham, a senior majoring in English, is entering his fourth year with the band and his second as mellophone section leader. Even with many gamedays under his belt, he said it’s always difficult to describe those Saturdays.

“You have to experience it to know what it feels like on game days,” Langham said. “It’s white noise…or crimson noise.”

Many things ease the nervous tension. At the Mississippi State game two years ago, Langham couldn’t fit his notes between his laughter after seeing two colleagues stumble into mud on the wet field. Ozzello recalls a time when the sprinkler system interrupted halftime and provided a refreshing break in the action.

If unplanned water breaks don’t cut it, freshmen members may find solace in their sections. Band sections are often found chanting back and forth promoting a little bit of intera-band rivalry. The members believe it’s all in good fun.

“Every section is its own entity,” Langham said. “There are a lot of a goofballs and quirky personalities, and we all like to have a good time.”

Whether a nervous newcomer or a savvy veteran, band members think Saturday’s finale will be something special and heartfelt.

“At the end we’re doing a tribute to Tuscaloosa, celebrating the spirit of moving forward,” Ozzello said. “For the first time in the history of the band, we’re spelling out T-U-S-C-A-L-O-O-S-A.”

Even Fox, who was not on campus during April’s devastation, has a personal stake in the tribute.

“My brother is a student and was here for the 27th,” Fox said. “[The finale] is a beautiful piece of music, and I think it’ll be powerful.”

While Fox and Langham are waiting in the tunnel preparing to march and play for a healing Tuscaloosa, they’ll probably go through different motions. Langham, a section leader, will stir up familiar feelings. Fox, a freshman, will create new ones. Regardless, they believe they will take the field as a family and hope Tuscaloosa can move forward in similar fashion.

“We want to do our part to elevate an unequaled atmosphere,” Langham said. “We’re here for Tuscaloosa—we’re a band for Tuscaloosa.”