What is the goal of block seating?

I am writing in regard to the articles about block seating. What is the goal of student organizational seating? That is the question I keep contemplating as the events over the past weeks have played out.

In all of this, I think we have lost the reason for having a student section. Student seating should be an opportunity for all students to come together and cheer on the Crimson Tide. As the University grows in number, it only seems necessary that we progress forward as a student body. As a native of Tuscaloosa, I am a firm believer in carrying on traditions, but as an engaged student I believe that if we are serious about creating a campus community we need to make serious changes to student life on campus.

It is common knowledge that the greek system wants to participate in block seating in order to separate themselves from the other commoners of the student section, but what incentive do the leaders of other organizations have to give in to this public display of elitism? Of course the leaders of SGA, who just so happen to also be in the greek system, favor a procedure that allows them to control block seating with little-to-no outside input.

I challenge the leaders of campus organizations and our administration to discontinue the perpetuation of narrow-minded traditions governing student affairs.

The first step in creating a community-centered campus culture is to eliminate block seating. If the University and its administration is committed to standing by the Capstone Creed, then it needs to start enforcing “honesty, fairness, and respect” in the organization that is supposed to represent its students.