“One team. One Bama.”

Having our UA family back on campus is an unmatched and remarkable feeling this year. Whether you are a first-year student or nearing graduation, this year is a special one.

As I witnessed the commitment demonstrated by the entire UA community following April 27, I was proud of the team we have become. You proved to be engaged citizens ready to make a difference, and those actions will serve as a foundation for the service, compassion and spirit our campus will continue to show in the coming year and into the future.

As we come together for the 2011-2012 academic year, I encourage each of you to remember what it means to be a member of our unique community. We are a community of scholars dedicated to each other, to the Tuscaloosa community and to the state of Alabama and beyond. We are also a community of high standards. When you become of member of the Capstone, you agree to live by the ideals set forth in the Capstone Creed.

Your pursuit of higher education commits you to the expansion of knowledge and perspective.  While this is easily accomplished in the classroom with the help of our outstanding faculty that is committed to advancing your education, I encourage you to take learning beyond the classroom.

There are multiple programs that allow for constant learning and exploration. For those of you who are just beginning your academic career, we have an entire office devoted to helping you navigate your way around getting involved on campus.  Keep in mind First Year Experience, First Year Council, and Freshman Forum. FYE also keeps upperclassmen involved by allowing them to serve as peer mentors who strive to guide and be good examples to our new students.

Other areas, such as the Community Service Center, Student Involvement and Leadership, Blackburn Institute and University Recreation, among many others, host various programs, which provide practical experiences to complement your classroom learning. Each program brings students from various backgrounds together, allowing for the expansion of personal perspectives.

There are also opportunities beyond our campus borders which allow you to explore new regions or areas of the world. Study Abroad, National Student Exchange and Alternative Break service trips are just a few ways to expand your horizons. These experiences also benefit our entire community as you return to campus with new knowledge ready to share.

A new academic year means a fresh start. You have the chance to take learning to the next level. You have the chance to impact our community. You have the chance to make a difference. Remember, we are “One team. One Bama.” and as each member excels and contributes to the whole, we prove again that nothing can slow the spirit that is The University of Alabama.

Mark D. Nelson, Ph.D., serves as Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice Provost for Academic Affairs for the University of Alabama.