CW to evolve with changing University

In some ways, the University of Alabama feels like a different place than it did when I stepped onto campus three years ago. The roads and hallways are more clogged with traffic than ever.  And though much of the debris is gone, Tuscaloosa continues to reel from the effects of April’s devastating tornado.

Our University is changing, as is our technology, and The Crimson White must adapt to these changes. Last year, we made a concerted effort to transform The CW into a true campus newspaper. We eliminated Associated Press content and featured more student names and faces than ever before. We printed your tweets and Facebook posts to give you a voice on issues as varied as parking, smoking and the Nick Saban statue. We tried to elicit a chuckle during your dull Friday class on April Fool’s last year (though some people still think Jay-Z might actually come to the amphitheater). In short, we tried to connect with you and convey that The Crimson White is here to serve your needs.

We hope to deepen this core value this year. You’ll see more in-depth reporting, as we’ve hired special projects reporters who will focus solely on long-term assignments. You’ll see a broader range of multimedia and video projects, including timelines, Google Maps, and slideshows. You’ll see an expanded presence on Twitter, where you can already follow @CW_Live for live coverage of events and @CW_TheScene to learn about bar and restaurant specials. Before the year is out, you’ll also see a dedicated CW smartphone application, where we hope to create even more lanes for two-way communication by allowing you to send us your photos and videos of community activities.

As we deepen our connection with students, we’ll also broaden our reach into the wider Tuscaloosa community. In the immediate aftermath of the April tornado, many of our staffers ventured out into areas of the city that had never received coverage before – places such as Holt and Alberta City, which were left in tatters by the storm. As the tornado destroyed homes and businesses, it also destroyed the barriers that exist between the University of Alabama and the broader Tuscaloosa community. There were not “student victims” and “non-student victims,” just victims, and we did our best to report on all of their experiences. We will continue to do that during the school year as Tuscaloosa cements its rebuilding plans.

If the tornado and its aftermath have taught me anything, it’s that people, not institutions, are the driving force behind change and progress. That doesn’t just apply to rebuilding a city – it applies to evaluating our own University, the issues it faces, and being proactive about finding solutions. In my first column as editor, I wrote to the student body, “You are the lifeblood of this campus and this publication.”

Collectively, we can dictate the course of this University – there is not an administrator powerful enough to reject the will of the students. So I would encourage students who are frustrated – with their parking problems, with their tuition rates, with the atmosphere they feel walking across campus – to have their voices heard. The CW offers an outlet for intelligent dialogue on these issues, and we will continually bring you key facts and perspectives from all sides about such topics so that you can have an informed and proactive college experience.

This is not just a message for freshmen to “make the best out of your four years of college.” You have the power to change things, and media is one of the most effective tools for change. So if you have a story to tell or an opinion to share, you should let us know.

Ultimately, all of the power at this school lies in your hands.

Victor Luckerson is a senior majoring in journalism and history. He is entering his second year as the editor of The Crimson White. He can be contacted at [email protected].