Pink Box in search of fresh talent

As artistic high school students enter college, dreams are often cast aside. The social pressures of a narrowing job market lure vocalists to business while pianists flock to pre-dental. But a Tuscaloosa Troupe wants to offer hope. They ask only that you practice some cadences, rediscover your flair and dig up your pasties.

On Sunday, Aug. 7, Pink Box Burlesque will host open casting calls from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Those interested in auditioning can contact Mama Dixie at [email protected] to request a 30-minute time slot. Other than age (18 and up), there are no restrictions to who may audition.

“I’ve known full-bodied women and even men who can find their hips,” said Mama Dixie, madam and founder of the Pink Box Burlesque Troupe. “Let that not detract from any leggy blonde that wants to come in.”

Men and women of all sizes have been finding their way to Pink Box since its start in 2008. Initially unsure of how the historically conservative Tuscaloosa audience would perceive them, the troupe strategically scheduled their first show for Feb. 29.

“If it was terrible, we’d only have to do it every four years,” Mama Dixie said.

But the southern crowd’s response encouraged the troupe to host more than every-four-year events. During the typical yearly season, Pink Box has six to twelve shows throughout the southeast. The vaudevillian variety show features everything from song and dance to comedy and juggling, and tease is always an aspect.

Tease usually brings the most controversy. After all, the tease facet most closely resembles another situation full of erotic clothing or lack there of—stripping. Burlesque participants contend there is a stark difference between the two.

“Burlesque tells a story,” said Tesla Coil, backstage manager and performer for Pink Box. “It may be sexy, but the goal isn’t necessarily to be erotic. It could be humor or even a narrative.”

Despite the possibility of the audience confusing them for their stripping second cousins, undeterred performers still seek out burlesque. Mama Dixie currently manages 17 actors, singers, dancers and musicians. Pink Box troupe members have even taken their experiences beyond Tuscaloosa. Cheryl Hurley, an Alabama graduate and formerly Fifi Lafoush of Pink Box, was inspired to start her own troupe. Based in Memphis, TN, Hurley’s, now known as Fatty McLure, Tennessee Tease Burlesque took off December 2010. Their first Tuscaloosa show was last night at the Green Bar.

“I’m so lucky I went through the business process of it all with Pink Box first,” McLure said. “Mama Dixie treated it like a business, and so do I.”

Both Fatty McLure and Mama Dixie say that aspects of social commentary, especially in the South, have given their organizations flack. McLure believes they are perceived in a negative light because of a lack of visibility.

“I even meet artists playing in the same venues I’m booking who are completely unaware of burlesque,” McLure said.

On the other hand, Mama Dixie can somewhat appreciate the region’s point of view.

“I don’t think you can have the warm squishy side of the South without the conservative restrictions,” Mama Dixie said. “It’s two sides of the same coin.”

Both burlesque leaders urge auditioners to look past stirred controversy.  Despite it all, Pink Box has continued to grow, and participants say they are attracted by its beauty, not its beef with society.

“When I saw the show, I was inspired by these fearless, stunningly beautiful women I saw on stage,” Tesla Coil said. “After performing for the first time, you realize you can evoke the same reaction.”

Pink Box troupe members hope the inspiration continues and people take advantage of Aug. 7.

“We often don’t know there’s a hole in our show until someone comes to fill it—double entendre notwithstanding,” Mama Dixie said. “Even if you’re not sure, give it a go.”

Those interested in auditioning can email Mama Dixie at [email protected] to request a 30-minute time slot on Aug. 7, 10am-1 p.m. People who contact Mama Dixie will receive directions to PBB’s rehearsal space. PBB will compensate for oversched