Senate proposes not funding Zimride

After discussing whether or not to pass the Zimride bill, a bill to disallow funding for the program has been sent to the finance committee of the Student Government Association.

“We’ve decided that the SGA doesn’t have to fund [Zimride],” said Jeff Elrod, president pro-tempore of the senate. “The program will continue – that was never the point of controversy – it was just who should fund it. We decided that SGA doesn’t need to fund it, but we will participate in marketing and making sure students know about it.”

Because of lack of information on the Zimride program and reasoning as to why the SGA should release expenditures for it, the initial resolution was tabled in June.

Vice President of Student Affairs David Wilson said funding for the program will be fully covered by transportation services.

“The SGA office for student affairs worked it out with transportation services so that transportation services would cover the full cost of the program and SGA funding would no longer be needed anymore,” Wilson said.

The old business for the senate’s July meeting included the resolution regarding attendance policies and office hours for senators. The attendance policy for regularly scheduled weekly sessions will be determined based on a point system. Office hour completion will also be based on a point system, and each senator is required to complete two hours a week. The policies are outlined for undergraduate, graduate and law students, as well as senate staffers.

“It’s great to have it cleared up, because I know with the change in the constitution and with the Code of Laws, it’s important to establish a clear policy for all the senators, senate staffers and everyone involved,” said Senator Jonathan Thompson, co-sponsor of the bill. “It’s great to be in the same boat, great to be on the same page.”

Members of the senate voted to immediately pass the bill to approve expenditures for homecoming. Senators voted to approve $3,500 for homecoming expenses and $2,500 for marketing and advertising expenses.

“We need the money to go ahead and move forward,” Elrod said. “Homecoming is coming up very quickly, and we need to go ahead and get that in place.”

The senate will be back in session on Aug. 25 as the fall semester begins at the Capstone.