Artists show tornado-inspired art at Kentuck

Months after a devastating tornado hit Tuscaloosa, we are still seeing the creative community come together to help those in need. The Kentuck Art Center of downtown Northport will be hosting an exhibit called “April 2011: Turmoil and Transcendence,” beginning this Wednesday, June 7.

Artists from around the state have come together to express how they felt in response to the April 27 tornado. Kentuck called for artists near and far to submit work relating to the tornado, and they are accepting artwork up until June 30.

A news release from Kentuck stated, “As we are dealing with these incalculable losses, the importance of art as self-expression, as communication and as therapy is ever more clear.”

Artwork of any medium was accepted with no entry fee, and proceeds from sales of work in the exhibition will be divided 80/20, with 80 percent going to United Way of West Alabama for tornado relief and 20 percent to Kentuck for covering the cost of the exhibit.

“This show provides a venue for artists to share some of their work related to this devastating experience as a step in maintaining and broadening community,” said Jackie Lambert, a parent of a UA student who will be visiting Tuscaloosa this weekend.

She said this is her first time visiting Tuscaloosa since the storm happened, and she is anxious to see the exhibit.  An artist in her spare time, she knows how one’s craft is a great means of expression, and she said she is glad Kentuck gave artists the opportunity to do this.

“Everyone is feeling something, and it is a great thing to be able to get those emotions out of you and share them with the world,” Lambert said.

Brandon Refour, a rising sophomore, is also excited about the exhibit. Refour said he was really happy when the “Tuscaloosa Runs This” eBook was released, giving writers and artists the chance to express themselves.

The exhibit will kick off this Thursday night at Kentuck’s monthly art night, which lasts from 5 to 9 p.m. The exhibit will run from July 7 through July 31.