Tornado exposes true heart of UA

If anyone had asked me to outline how I expected my first three months as SGA president to go, chances are it would be nothing like what has actually taken place. Nowhere in my plans was a massive tornado that would initially shake the foundation and mental state of the entire city of Tuscaloosa but ultimately expose the true heart of the Alabama community.

It is in times like these that the true essence of a community is on display. A community is more than a group of friends or acquaintances. A community is greater than a single university. A community expands beyond one’s comfort zones. A true community is students helping neighbors and people they had never before met rebuild their homes and businesses. A true community provides unwavering support to those in need. A true community holds strong and together through hard times and adversity.

I’m proud to say the Tuscaloosa and university communities are alive and well.

While the SGA has played an important role in tornado relief efforts, we have also continued our efforts to reform the way that your student government operates. In April, we elected our first speaker of the senate, drawing a clear line of separation between the three branches of government. We selected, through applications and interviews, a diverse and talented group of directors who will help the SGA obtain our goals for the next school year.

Through presidential order, we have reworked the student organization seating committee and selection process to provide an improved, wider range of student input. This change will ensure that all student organizations have an equal opportunity of receiving reserved seating in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

We have sought student opinion of SGA through the creation of an approval survey so that we can ensure our central mission reflects the ideas of students. Finally, we have partnered with different campus departments to secure excellent programs and resources that will benefit students when they return to campus in the fall.

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to talk with a group of my peers about my vision and goal for this administration. This group of students did not particularly like the SGA, nor did they see any benefit from an organization they considered biased and exclusive. I encouraged the students to view this SGA with a clean slate. I asked them to put aside preconceived notions about the SGA and judge us based on recent actions and decisions. I told them that this administration would not be your traditional Student Government Association. This administration will push beyond our current borders to reach students that SGA has never before reached. This administration will be different, and we will not back down from our central mission of serving ALL students.

This University, including the SGA, is built on the idea of tradition. This tradition includes success on the football field, in the classroom and throughout the community.  Everywhere you walk on our campus, you are reminded of those who came before you and the paths they chose to take. Tradition is not a bad thing, but it is important that we avoid complacency. One must find the balance between honoring our past and pushing toward a new and superior tomorrow. We must continue to hold our traditions close to our heart, but also embrace a fresh and united UA.

One of our nation’s current leaders recently said, “We must have the courage to not see the world as we wish it to be, but as it really is.” I realize that we have a long way to go toward becoming the UA community that I so passionately desire. I am not an idealist, nor do I ignore the blatant flaws on our campus today, but I do have the courage of my conviction.

While others wrap themselves in cynicism or yield to apathy, we must be unafraid to hope. Hope is the very foundation of democracy – the hope of creating a better UA campus – not just for some of us, but for all of us. The hope of a true UA community will remain the focus of my administration, and I wholeheartedly believe we can and will succeed.

Grant Cochran is a senior majoring in biochemistry.  He is the SGA President.