Letter to the Editor – Tornado changes perception

Alabama:  where the sun is always at its highest peak and football reigns supreme. The state where sweet tea is served at almost every restaurant, and the smiles are as welcoming as the accents. Looking back on the past week, I’ve come to appreciate the word “y’all,” as well as potato salad and good manners.

Coming into the Multicultural Journalism Workshop as the sole camper from Florissant, Mo., I was apprehensive. I had never been to Alabama, and I had no idea what I was in for.

I knew that I would be reporting on the devastation of the tornado in Tuscaloosa and that it would be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. What I did not know was that the people I’ve met and places I’ve seen would change my perspective on journalism.

Riding through the neighborhoods of Tuscaloosa and seeing the damage firsthand, I could not imagine how it must have felt to lose everything, lose a loved one, or have my life turned completely upside down.

I did not experience the tornado and its effects, but I can appreciate the hospitality of Tuscaloosans smiling and waving as I drive past.

More than hospitality in Tuscaloosa, I’ve met plenty of interesting people. Each camper involved in MJW has his or her own special quirk. Meeting so many diverse students has been amazing: from an intelligent young man from Leeds, Ala., who is Vanderbilt-bound, to the quirky kid of Overland Park, Kan., with a high tolerance for Mountain Dew, to the Valedictorian of Tuscaloosa who is obsessed with Jay-Z; I’ve never met such interesting students.

Nights were filled with hide-and-seek, dorm gatherings, and seasons of “The Office,” while days were spent filming broadcast segments, conducting difficult interviews and being mentored by mature reporters.

Most of all, I gained the skills I need to be successful, not only at my high school newspaper, but in journalism overall.

I’ve learned that Alabama isn’t an image of stereotypical southern people; it’s an image of hospitality, bravery, survival and a common bond of football.

The people of Tuscaloosa are coming back. Roll Tide.

Ymani Wince is a senior at McCluer North High School in Florissant, Missouri. Wince is a participant in the Multicultural Journalism Workshop at the University this week.