Boys state ‘citizens’ talk to public officials

This past week, The University of Alabama and the West Alabama community welcomed more than 500 high school students to the city of Tuscaloosa for the 74th Annual American Legion Boys State convention.

The convention was held from May 29 through June 4, bringing together rising high school seniors from across the state. Boys State is a program that expands on the information normally taught in a high school civics class. It is intended to give its participants a deeper understanding of the government and ways to preserve it. It trains the young men in the practical aspects of government.

The members spoke with Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange, Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb, Alabama Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and Tuscaloosa Mayor Walter Maddox.

“In the past few weeks, we have seen the generosity of the people of Alabama as we rebuild our city,” Maddox said in reference to the tornado that devastated the city on April 27. “Boys State will continue this spirit and tradition of making a difference for Tuscaloosa during this most critical hour in our history. We are honored by their presence and their willingness to give back to those in need.”

In the wake of the disaster, each member participated in community service throughout the week. They lent a helping hand to Temporary Emergency Services, where they sorted warehouse donations, as well as volunteered at McKinney and Snow Hinton Park, restoring a playground there that would benefit children throughout the city.

Kyle Haynes, a rising senior from Cullman, said, “To me, Boys State is a leadership conference that brings out the great in everybody and really explains who you are as a leader and what type of leader you are.”

“Citizens” of Boys State find themselves learning and expanding on their knowledge of the political system but will also perform and participate as real office-holders of the state. The positions include Boys State official, appointed city official, elected county official, elected state official and state official appointed by the Governor.

When the students come to the convention, they are placed into a political party within their city. They then write their platforms and nominate a candidate for office. Next, they elect city officials as well as write laws that the city will follow. The Boys State has a legislature that will convene and pass on bills that were prepared during the week.

During their stay in Tuscaloosa, the attendees also had the chance to participate in recreational activities such as sports, an academic bowl, drama, chorus, or journalism during their down time.

Boys State joined forces with NBA star Dwight Howard on Friday, June 3 hosting a “Fun Day.” The event included speakers such as Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs David Jones, Tuscaloosa Mayor Maddox, Boys State Director Judge Pete Johnson and Dwight Howard. The community enjoyed a space jump, free food, activities and a football game with Howard.

“Along with the official Boys State activities, the best thing about the convention is meeting new people, the friends you make, and learning about them and their lives,” said Blake Mizzel, a rising senior from Tuscaloosa.