Witnesses to Witt-lessness

In times of crisis, leaders emerge. After the April 27 tornado devastated parts of Tuscaloosa, leaders across our campus responded incredibly.

Faculty members accounted for students, staff members worked to help those affected, and students organized relief efforts and volunteered across the city. The reactionary mentality of helping others first was innate in all who served in the days following the tragic natural disaster.

These individuals became unofficial leaders in a time of need. They did it because they felt compelled to, not because they wanted attention or praise. Sometimes, it takes an unfortunate event to reveal the greatness and kindness in society that we take for granted far too often.

The UA community’s overwhelming response revealed how great our campus can be, but it also revealed what holds us back. Despite the presence of many strong leaders at this University, we have a crisis of leadership in our administration.

A 220-word email sent two days after the arguably biggest event in Tuscaloosa’s history does not cut it. That one statement sums up President Robert Witt’s entire public response to the tornado, as well as his perception.

Minor mistakes during these times are quickly forgiven – no one could have imagined the eventual devastation of the tornado. But the mistake of not responding at all should never be forgiven.

Many public officials and figures did respond. Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox led the city remarkably in the days following the tornado and has continued to do so. Coach Nick Saban and other members of the University’s athletic department led relief efforts. President Barack Obama toured the destruction and talked to city officials. Even Charlie Sheen made an appearance.

Let me repeat that. Even Charlie Sheen made a public appearance, something that our University’s president, the de facto mayor of 30,000 plus, did not do.

Witt led us down the path that we have become far too accustomed to. It begins with a short email and then it ends, leaving others the responsibility of deciding how to push forward.

I am not asking for an administration with all of the answers. I am just asking for an administration that is willing to lead. If that is crazy and unheard of, then I must be nuts. But when we, as students, expect nothing more than an email from our president after a crisis – whether it is a natural disaster or campus incident – something must be wrong.

Either our president is succeeding, or our expectations have been lowered by his inaction so much so to the point where he can surpass them with ease. It is unfortunate and tragic that neither he nor other members of the administration knew how to respond.

I am certain that President Witt and other members of the administration care about the Tuscaloosa and UA community – but they failed to show it. This was a time for leadership, and the only campus leaders were the students, faculty and staff members who volunteered, donated and accounted for the missing.

To reward groups and individuals who responded to the April 27 tornado, UA Student Affairs has opened up nominations for the Capstone Heroes Award. I take offense to this though.

Instead of recognizing just one individual or one organization, the University of Alabama should recognize everyone who helped. It would be a disservice and ignorant to only award a few individuals when many have devoted their time, energy and resources to tornado relief efforts.

The notion that someone or some group went above and beyond others is ridiculous since so many people did after the storm. Those who responded to the natural disaster of April 27 did so in order to help, not to be awarded for their actions. Therefore, I think the Capstone Heroes Award should be given to everyone who helped, not just a select few.

Writer Elbert Hubbard writes, “To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” Most would and should read this as a motivational quote. Our administration reads it as advice.

If one cannot lead during times of crisis nor in times of prosperity, then why does one hold a leadership position?

Strong leadership evokes determination, optimism and passion. We saw and have continued to see that in Tuscaloosa with Mayor Maddox and other communities and organizations across the country. We lack that at this University.

President Witt has announced his goal of 35,000 students by 2020. I am sorry, but 35,000 students is neither a direction nor a vision, it is just a number.

I have never been prouder of this University than I was when members of the student body, faculty and staff began organizing tornado relief efforts.

It is a shame that the administration failed to take part. Fortunately, we have proven that we are strong enough to act responsibly without the administration’s faux leadership.

Wesley Vaughn is a senior majoring in public relations and political science.