Volunteer opportunities for Wednesday, May 11

The following information was provided by the Community Service Center.

Highlighted Volunteer Opportunities for Wednesday, May 11:

1.  URGENT NEED: City of Tuscaloosa Volunteer Hotline:  We are staffing the City of Tuscaloosa volunteer hotline call center with UA students.  We will be doing this Monday-Friday from 7 am to 7 pm.  The shifts are 7 am to 11 am, 11 am to 3 pm, and 3 pm to 7 pm.  We need more volunteers for all shifts. Please let us know if you can do this.  If you want to volunteer for any of these shifts, please email Barbara Grimes at [email protected] or call at 205-348-2865 and let her know which day and which shifts you would like to volunteer for.  The call center is located in the McAbee Center at 3801 Loop Road (take 15th Street/Veterans Memorial Parkway out passed Home Depot.  There will be sign for Loop Road/Veteran’s Hospital/UA Arboretum.  You will loop to the right and then take a left into the road for the McAbee Center.  It is a large building with a blue roof.  Please enter the door with the awning over it.  Please make sure to contact Barbara to sign up because space is limited at each shift.

2. URGENT NEED:  Volunteers for Volunteer Registration Center:  The City needs volunteers to help register volunteers at the Volunteer Registration Center athe McAbee Center each day.  The hours are M-F from 6 am to 7 pm; Saturday from 9 am to 7 pm; and Sunday from 1 pm to 5 pm.  We will staffing shifts on M-F of this week from 6-11 am, 11 am-3 pm, & 3-7 pm.  They would love to have consistent volunteers.  If you would like to sign up for any of these shifts this week, please Barbara Grimes at [email protected] or call at 205-348-2865 and let her know which day and which shifts you would like to volunteer for.  The call center is located in the McAbee Center at 3801 Loop Road (take 15th Street/Veterans Memorial Parkway out passed Home Depot.  There will be sign for Loop Road/Veteran’s Hospital/UA Arboretum.  You will loop to the right and then take a left into the road for the McAbee Center.  It is a large building with a blue roof.  Please enter the door with the awning over it.  Please make sure to contact Barbara to sign up because space is limited at each shift.  If you send us an email after 5:00 pm for a shift the next day, just show up the next day at the McAbee Center.

3.  Field Day with students at McKenzie Court on Wednesday.  8-10 volunteers are needed on Wednesday, May 11, from 3-5:00 pm. Volunteers will be assisting with a field day for the students who have been involved with the Al’s Pals Mentoring Program this summer.  Please email Barbara Grimes at [email protected] if you are interested in volunteering.  Transportation will be provided from the Ferguson Center at 2:30 pm if volunteers need transportation.  Otherwise, volunteer (who have signed up) should show up at McKenzie Court.  After signing up, we will send directions to the location.

4. On Campus Volunteer Opportunity – Moving & inventorying microfridges:  Help is needed to move and inventory microfridges (being donated by the off campus company that supplies them to the University) from New, Parker & Adams Halls that are going to be donated to tornado survivors.  On Wednesday, students can volunteer in the morning to help inventory and starting at 1:00 pm to help move microfridges.  Volunteers would need to see Shirley Darr at Byrd Hall.  Please contact her at 205-233-8734 if you can help.

5.  Attention nursing, social work & community health majors: the Alabama Disability Advocacy Network needs volunteers to help answer the disability support hotline for Tuscaloosa.  If you are interested in a 9 am to 1 pm or a 1 pm to 5 pm shift, please contact Barbara at the CSC at [email protected] or 348-2865 to let us know which shifts during the week you would like to help with.  They would love to have some volunteers who could come several times a week.

6.  Tuscaloosa’s One Place:  On Friday, volunteers are needed at Tuscaloosa’s One Place at 867 Redmont Drive, Tuscaloosa 35404.  They will be sorting items for distribution, distributing food in the area, and helping with other activities for  the Alberta community.  They are located about a half mile from the Winn Dixie in 5 Points (From the Winn Dixie traveling on University Blvd towards campus, Redmont Drive will be on your right immediately after Hopewell Baptist Church.  TOP is a blue house).  It is best to travel there from Hargrove or Skyland or the interstate rather than trying to go down University Blvd.  Contact number:  205-462-1000.  Donation items needed at TOP:  can openers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, pillows, hairbrushes, deodorant, cleaning supplies, packaged underwear, flashlights, and batteries.  Take some donations when you go to volunteer.

7.  Holt Community Partnership: The Holt Community Partnership needs volunteers (about 50 per day) to help out Monday-Friday from 10 am to 5 pm.  The Partnership is located at Holt Baptist Church at 3101 Alabama Avenue Northeast.  The hotline number there is 205-523-3817.  Please call to schedule times you would like to volunteer.  They are also have some wish list items:  aloe vera, dish detergent, laundry detergent, first aid cream, bug spray, hand lotion, shower curtains, window curtains, newborn diapers, preemie diapers, all size pull-ups, pacifiers, baby bottles, feminine wipes, douches, women’s deodorant, women’s razors, women’s shaving gel, gallons of distilled water for formula, and (2) laptop computers with Microsoft Exel  or Microsoft Access installed.  They are no longer accepting clothing donations or furniture and appliance donations.

8.  Assist in the Community Service Center:  For the rest of the week, we are needing a group of dedicated volunteers to help with a project for Compassion Coalition.  It would involve making phone calls from the Community Service Center during the hours of 8 to 5.  If you are interested, please let Barbara Grimes know or come to the office at 346 Ferguson Center.

On Going Volunteer Sign Up and Service Locations:

·         Temporary Emergency Services on 15th Street needs volunteers to help sort and distribute donations. They are open from 8am – 6pm M-S and Sundays 10am – 6pm.  They need your help to sort donations so they can be given to those who need the items.

·         Samaritan’s Purse at First Baptist Church downtown is doing volunteer orientations each day at 8 am and 1 pm.  You need to go to one of the orientations in order to be placed.

·         Warehouse Assistance: The City of Tuscaloosa has opened a new warehouse to house donations that have been given.  They need help each day from 8 am to 5 pm to help with deliveries.  The warehouse is the Phifer Warehouse located at 2505 Greensboro Avenue.  You MUST become a credentialed volunteer through the VRC at the McAbee Center in order to volunteer here.

Important Information:

·         The UA Counseling Center is offering a tornado support group for students every Wednesday at 7 pm in the Counseling Center.

·         Faculty, staff and students who suffered hardship following the April 27 tornado are encouraged to apply for financial assistance through the UA Acts of Kindness Fund, an emergency-assistance program for UA employees and students.  Please go to http://financialaffairs.ua.edu/benfund/ to find the application.

NEW IMPORTANT NOTE: Starting today, all volunteers working in the recovery areas can become credentialed through the Volunteer Registration Center (VRC). Credentialing will occur at the McAbee Center, 3801 Loop Road, Tuscaloosa. Hours are Monday through Friday: 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. At some point, the City will ask all volunteers to become credentialed, so please go ahead and do this.  For more information, please visit http://www.givetuscaloosa.com/.