Student died in storm a week before scheduled graduation

Friends and acquaintances mourn the death of Ashley Harrison, a senior who was just a week away from receiving her degree in economics from the University.

According to Fox 4, Harrison’s body was discovered approximately 100 yards away from the house where she and boyfriend Carson Tinker, a long snapper for the Crimson Tide, tried to ride out the EF-5 tornado that devastated Tuscaloosa on Wednesday.

Friends of Harrison remember her as someone with a great personality and an exceptionally bright future.

“Beyond her high intellect and her ability to excel in whatever she chose to pursue, she had the most amazing personality,” Colin Peek, a close friend of Harrison’s, told the Dallas Morning News.  “She just had an elegance about her.”

Among Harrison’s greatest attributes was her ability to remain the same, no matter who she was around.

“You felt at ease being yourself around her because you knew she was being herself 100 percent,” Peek, a former Alabama football player, told the Dallas Morning News.

As the storm approached Tuscaloosa on Wednesday, Harrison was at home with her boyfriend and two other friends.  Harrison’s uncle, Marion Perret, told WFAA TV that those inside the house took shelter in a closet as the tornado neared, but the tornado hit the house directly.

If you have information about memorial services or if you are a friend or family member who would like to be quoted about Ashley Harrison, email [email protected].