Thank you, thank you, you’re far too kind

Capstonians, in one week and three days, this school year will end. I can say without hesitation that this has been the best one so far for me, personally. My weekly time here on the opinions page never failed to keep me driven, and there are many who deserve my gratitude for each and every column.

First, I would like to thank everyone who read my columns this year. Yes, even the person who turned to the opinions page just to see if someone made a fool of himself or herself. Knowing that we, as columnists, have a steady base of readership forces us to step up our game, and that makes us better.

I especially want to thank those who helped me craft my opinions to write those columns. It may have involved a long, late-night discussion over food at Hooligan’s, a text conversation minutes before my deadline, or someone or some group doing something stupid (or awesome) that I felt called to write about.

Members of the administration, SGA and student organizations helped me tremendously. It means a lot to me to know that I can call them out for their mistakes and they will still talk candidly with me. These people care more about this university than they rationally should, which keeps me from losing all faith myself.

Feedback should never be underestimated. I hope I speak for all columnists when I say that refreshing my column online to check for comments and mentions on Twitter and Facebook is a weekly occurrence. Without some sort of response, we are merely putting ink on paper.

That is why I would like to thank all of those who discussed my views after they were published, whether that was in person or in a letter to the editor. Good or bad, I was able to learn something new about this university and myself. For example, I have supposedly mastered the art of hair and smiling.

I will admit that I have pulled a few silly stunts on this here page. I disgraced rap again, criticized just about every student organization on campus, thought that four square could unite this campus, mentioned the NBA as much as possible, and made some believe that I ran a fake Twitter account for a secret organization.

But I did try to bring up a few good points. I am serious about this university finding its identity. I think that #UAchat on Twitter will serve as a valuable role for this campus online. I hope that my critiques were not misinterpreted as hateful, but were instead seen as a concerned student trying to help.

Of course, I owe a great deal of thanks to The Crimson White for providing me with a weekly platform to share what is on my mind. I also had a great time working on the paper’s engagement team this past year. Helping manage the paper’s social media accounts and outreach efforts was easily one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

This year’s staff has been a bunch of outstanding men and women who deserve high praise for their work. In just one year, The Crimson White restored its reputation and should only build upon it.

I want to end by thanking the University of Alabama. Without its litany of problems, I would have nothing to write about. I look forward to writing again next semester and continuing to fight for the culture change that this place so desperately needs.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesday.