APO ends year with original production

Alpha Psi Omega’s newest original production “Blackout” asks audience “who else do we have but one another?”

The play will be showing tomorrow and Thursday in the Allen Bales Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for general admission and can be purchased at the door.

This is one of two studio productions by Alpha Psi Omega this session, each completely organized and executed by members of the cast.

Alpha Psi Omega is a nationally recognized honor society for students studying theatre. Members of APO are continuously working to discover innovative methods of performance, understand classic and modern theatre, and support the work of their peers.

Barrett Guyton, the director for “Blackout,” said he loved being able to create a brand new show.

“This is the first time the show has ever been done,” she said. “My favorite part is seeing the actors take only words and see them make them completely their own.”

Laura Ballard, a sophomore majoring in musical theatre, said her favorite part of working on this play was “inventing a role and not having to follow any preconceived notions the audience may have.”

The production is completely student run and co-produced by the Residence Hall Association and Creative Campus. David Bolus, the author of “Blackout,” is a senior majoring in theatre. This is his third play to be produced in the area.

Bolus opens his play with eleven actors on the stage in suspended disbelief with nothing but a script. The actors discuss life, love, loss, audience interaction, Greek choruses, the American musical and Shakespeare. Throughout the action of the play, the cast’s numbers dwindle, as one by one, they are mysteriously dragged off the stage when the lights go out and the stage goes black.

“David Bolus is brilliant, and it is really cool being a part of an all original production,” said Michelle Muntifering, Character 3 and a senior majoring in theatre.

Zachaeus Kimbrell, a senior majoring in musical performance, describes the play as different from anything ever seen or done before. Kimbrell plays Character 6 and said that the eerie set and blackouts make the show seem like a horror movie.

“I love the fact that the characters are so open and open for [the actor’s] interpretation,” Kimbrell said. “It’s up to the actors to interpret the basic story, how they got here, why they are here, and where they think are going.”

Kimbrell plays two characters in this play. He plays Character 6 but comes back as another character later.

“The two characters are in different mental and spiritual places,” he said. “My character goes through a major change, and I see it as his coming to terms with his sexuality.”

All proceeds from the opening night of “Blackout” will go to two charities. As a part of “Play for a Purpose,” proceeds will benefit the National Foundation for Cancer Research. Play for a Purpose is a nationwide campaign in which drama clubs and acting troupes designate one or more shows to raising awareness and funds for cancer prevention, detection, treatment, and life saving research. Donations will also be accepted at both Saturday and Sunday performances.

Proceeds from “Blackout” will also benefit the official philanthropy of the Gamma Gamma Cast of Alpha Psi Omega, West Alabama AIDs Outreach (WAAO). WAAO is a nonprofit outreach committed to educating the community about HIV/AIDS and providing services for those affected by the disease.

For more information, contact Reagan Dickey at [email protected], or visit bama.ua.edu/~apo.