A wish list for the athletic department

I know it’s not that time of year, but I can’t help but jot down a list of the things I want this year. So this is my letter to that man with the rosy cheeks and white hair, with hopes that the University of Alabama gets all its wishes for this year.

Oh, you thought I meant Santa Clause? No, this letter is intended to Mal Moore­– the Santa of UA athletics. The University of Alabama is one of only 14 schools to have its athletic department finish in the black, so when Moore is making his list and checking it twice, here are a couple of things we hope he doesn’t leave out.

A Sarah Patterson statue: This is the Nintendo 64 of the season; everyone is getting one of these. Auburn is handing out statues like Chiclets– even Cam Newton, who didn’t graduate, is getting one. The very least we can is hand one to Patterson, who has just finished bringing back her fifth national championship trophy to Tuscaloosa. Patterson is one of the most successful coaches The University of Alabama has ever seen; second only to a man who has a museum named after him and is treated as a god. It is time the athletic department recognizes Patterson’s importance to the University and builds her a statue outside of Coleman Coliseum.

A new baseball stadium: Contrary to Tuscaloosa belief, baseball is a big deal in the Southeastern Conference. Keeping to the Christmas theme, all the cool kids already have one. Sewell-Thomas Stadium is hardly a dump, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking it is up to par with the rest of the SEC. I hate LSU as much as the next guy, but Alex Box on a summer afternoon is spectacular. Alex Box Stadium seats 10,150 people, a big jump from Sewell-Thomas’ 6,571. It’s not just the number of seats either – Alex Box, Baum stadium in Arkansas and Carolina Stadium all have luxury boxes. Alabama doesn’t even have outfield seats.

Imagine how much cooler it would be if the student section for Sewell-Thomas were set up in left field instead of down third base line. It would be amazing; you could catch homeruns, heckle outfielders, and actually see the field without having to turn your head. In Swayze Field in Oxford, people come way before first pitch is thrown in order to get good outfield seats for the game.

Did you hear that? People come…to baseball. Stop laughing, Mr. Moore, it can happen. After all, Alabama has a consistently good team, a team that was one out away from the College World Series last season. In the words of “Field of Dreams,” “Build it and they will come.”

Better seats at basketball games: It sure looks as though Grant will be the coach to bring Alabama to the promise land. Too bad students will be tucked back in the corners of the arena to see it. Even the seats that are allotted to the Tide’s craziest fans are not too great. The Crimson Chaos is located either under the basket on uncomfortable seats, or they stand on risers. Wow, sign me up!

Not only do Alabama’s finest hoop fans get a poor view, but the camera has a poor view of them. On nationally televised games, you can hardly see the screaming face-painted fans. Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium places their Cameron Crazies along the sideline­ and you can see them jump up and down on camera. The Crazies have a better seat and they don’t ever sit. If Alabama wants to transform into a basketball powerhouse, they should let their fan base transform too. Coleman Coliseum is already a tough place for opponents to play. Imagine if you could get even more fan support from the students.

Well, that’s it, Mr. Moore. It might sound like a lot, but I feel we have been very good fans this year. Please make these things happen; not only will they help the fans, but they will also help the atmosphere of UA athletics altogether.

P.S. If you do I’ll send milk and cookies.