What I’ve learned

– Ninety percent of people who tell you “Don’t do things for your resume” either have done or are currently doing something for their resume. – Never in the history of time has someone gotten a job or gotten into grad school because of an honor society on their resume. Unless you plan to become a leader in one, you’re better off saving the $75. – After a while you realize that the most gratifying awards are the ones for which you haven’t applied and for which you haven’t solicited the nomination.

– My original hope for The Agorean was to better connect a fragmented greek community and to illuminate what many non-greeks considered to be an arcane culture. Though we failed to fully realize this goal, my hope is that the next generation will build upon that foundation.

– Comparing fraternities to beers? Hilarious. Sororities to restaurants? Turns out that’s more of a delicate issue…

– Gildan pocket-T’s shrink like the 2008 stock market and aren’t too flattering by your senior year. Comfort Colors live on.

– There is an inverse relationship between a person’s self-confidence and the number of times they wear their Old Row shirt every week.

– Travel as soon and as often as you can. And when you do, get away from your crowd. It’s not the change of backdrop but the change of perspective that you’ll find most rewarding. Tuscaloosa will never be the same upon your return.

– @TheUAMachine @uaHCA Social media has and will continue to shape the influence of elitist groups #finallyweallhaveavoice.

– JT Bowtie: a perfect example of how notoriety and popularity are two separate concepts.

– How many SGA exec members flying out to Pasadena on The University’s dime does it take to piss the entire student body off? It takes #LessThanUThink.

– Our administration is as accessible as any in the country. Sure some have more contact than others – e.g. Undeniably Frickin’ Elite program – but I have yet to see Dr. Witt, Dr. Bonner, etc., turn an eager student away.

– Forget Animal Planet. Go to Gallettes 15 minutes before the bar closes if you really want to see wildlife in heat.

– It’s easy to form friendships with people who are similar to yourself. Get outside of your box and befriend someone who isn’t – those friendships tend to be the most durable.

– Which library you will attend in ascending order of how screwed you are for the test: Bruno, Gorgas, Rodgers, McLure, and Hoole

–  Save UA. Save Alabama. Save the world. But save some of your time to truly enjoy these precious few years.

Benton Atchison is a senior majoring in quantitative finance.