The political bubble of an SGA president

Our university is undoubtedly one of the greatest in the Southeast and in the nation. Most students have an outstanding experience at the University – and most of those experiences take place with others just like themselves. Far too many go through college in a bubble.

Now out of office for two weeks, and with about 60 extra hours in my week, I’ve had a chance to reflect on my college experience. I’m glad to have this opportunity to share the perspective of a “has-been” SGA President.

When I came to Alabama I knew that I wanted to join a fraternity. Somehow I was able to convince the DKE fraternity to let me in — even though I’m not from Mobile.

For my first semester of college, I stayed in the DKE bubble. I met a handful of people outside of the fraternity, but for the most part, I didn’t see a need to meet anyone else.

Second semester was a different story. I realized then that I wanted to devote myself to SGA. The harder I worked, the better off I could leave this campus, and that was absolutely my passion — leaving this place better than I found it. But in order to continue this SGA work I loved so much, I knew I must tirelessly devote myself to a lifestyle of politics.

I had the best of intentions, but at any level, politics are politics.

The political bubble was even smaller than the original DKE bubble. I’m so grateful for the close friends who kept me grounded; for the most part, though, when others were at Gallettes to have a good time, I was at that bar to work — shaking hands and kissing babies. Needless to say, I was always trying to move up that political ladder.

I guess you can say it paid off, right? Sure, but hear this: that whole time I was missing the point entirely.

I am thankful for “Pasadena-gate.” Yes, I said it, I am thankful that it happened. (Don’t smile too much, Alan Blinder.) It was then that I began to learn so much about the things that mattered — things that I had been missing for so long.

There were parts of our campus I didn’t even know existed. Divisions persist on campus because groups don’t understand one another, and that lack of understanding comes from lack of exposure. As a result of the Pasadena incident, I began to interact with whole new groups of students. In spending time with independents, minority students, international students, LGBTQ students and so many others, I was shocked to discover all that I had in common with these new friends. I began to understand them and their experiences. From that point forward, I made it my crusade to be the voice for those who didn’t have a seat at the table of leadership.

When was the last time you talked to someone of another race? Or spent Friday night with someone brand new? When was the last time you made yourself available to be approached by someone different than you?

Quietly going through college in your comfort zone is, ironically, dangerous.  It puts the University community in danger of needless divisions, certain groups in danger of disenfranchisement, and students in danger of foolishly believing that they are somehow inherently superior.

Don’t make my mistakes. Don’t allow your sense of security, fear of the unknown or even political ambitions to prevent you from knowing students outside your bubble. I challenge you to work every day to overcome divisions, explore new situations and contribute your passion to our campus. Most importantly, wherever you find yourself, find the marginalized, those who have no voice, and commit yourself to being their advocate.

James Fowler is a senior majoring in business and political science. He was the 97th SGA President.