Make UA’s legacy your own

It does not seem like it was just yesterday, that I was walking as a freshman, fresh-faced, out-of-state student who was completely homesick. I guess it is so hard for me to remember that girl since my experience here at the University has been nothing short of amazing, and that little girl from Starkville, Mississippi has evolved.

But what was my motivation, you might ask? I saw people at this school who worked effortlessly to unite the campus, motivating and inspiring others along the way, and I asked myself – “What legacy would you like to leave behind at the University of Alabama?” With this idea in my head, I begin to seek out things that I was passionate about.

Every day I challenged myself to reach new heights and think outside “my box.” I defied stereotypes, demonstrating that being the only minority in a classroom does not make you inferior, but extraordinary. I confronted the barriers that exist between the students on this campus based on race and gender through service learning projects on campus and in the community.

I have faced off against deserving candidates for the University’s Homecoming Court, and mustered the courage to accept defeat while maintaining a positive spirit. I have adventured to New York to accept an award on behalf of the University as one of the American Advertising Federation’s Most Promising Minority Students.

I am not telling you this to brag, because I believe the key to success is to always remain humble. This is to inspire others to be great, for it starts with you. In my years here, I have seen the University’s steady growth, and I am optimistic about its future. It is because of the students here that the University is so great, and its legacy continues. However, the key part is making that legacy your own.

Pandora Austin is a senior majoring in psychology and advertising.