What it took me four years to learn about UA

It’s hard to believe that in a few weeks I’ll be receiving that coveted piece of paper that tells the world, according to various accrediting agencies, I’m competent enough for things that require a college education. There have been plenty of ups and downs during my four year tenure at Alabama but last year I got a first hand look at the true character and integrity of the University through my involvement with the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger food drive.

Prior to this experience, I may have been swayed that there were problems on campus at Alabama that would never be reconciled. Too late, naysayers, Alabama has already shown me too much of itself to believe you.

For all of you who tried to make me believe that UA was hopelessly divided between greeks and independents, I got to see the two groups work side-by-side at 8 a.m. on a Monday morning so the West Alabama Food Bank could ship its food out on time. Whenever people complain about the elitist attitude of the Honors College, I can’t help but think of the time they turned the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger kickoff into a huge success while taking none of the credit.

If someone would dare to call the athletic department or even Coach Saban soul-less to my face (a hypothetical, mind you), I’d gladly show the Sabans’ name on the BABH donors list or a record of all the food we collected at Alabama athletic events. I saw atheists work with Christians and I saw out-of-state students working with students from towns in Alabama so small even I hadn’t heard of them.

Hell, I guess if God, intellect, culture and social status can’t unite us, beating Auburn at something will.

There are a lot of different groups here, sure, but I had the opportunity to see them all work together on something, and it was scarily effective. Think about how many different people there are at this university and think about all the issues in just West Alabama that need the attention of committed individuals. Take some of what you’re learning in the classroom and apply it. You’re going to be using what you learn here to solve complex problems with diverse groups of people your whole career, so why not start now?

Rob Maxwell is a senior majoring in economics and finance.