Saban statue unveiled on A-Day

Head coach Nick Saban joined the likes of Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul “Bear” Bryant and Gene Stallings on Saturday, as University officials unveiled a statue of Saban to commemorate his 2009 National Championship team along the Walk of Champions just prior to kickoff of the Tide’s annual A-Day game.

“I’m very proud that my likeness will represent so many who worked so hard on that team,” Saban said during Saturday’s ceremony.

The statue, made by Oklahoma-based MTM Recognition, arrived on campus after months of speculation, with first reports saying it would arrive at the Tide’s 2010 A-Day game.

Andrew Martinez, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film who attended the statue’s unveiling, said, regardless of the wait, he was excited the statue finally made its way to campus.

“It’s been a long time coming, but I couldn’t be happier that it has finally arrived,” Martinez said. “This is an important moment in the lives of all of the Crimson Tide fans, and I’m glad I was here to witness it. We had a magical 2009 season, capped off with a win at the Rose Bowl, and it’s great that, even now, we’re still celebrating it. This will be talked about for a long time to come.”

Just prior to the statue’s unveiling, 2010 team captains Greg McElroy, Mark Barron and Dont’a Hightower imprinted their hand and foot prints outside of Denny Chimes alongside the other team captains from over the years.

Abby Haynes, a nursing student who attended both the statue unveiling and the 2010 team captain’s ceremony, said it was a moment she’ll remember forever.

“I was born and raised on Alabama football, so to see something like this, a national championship coach being enshrined alongside UA legends I read about in books and watched in videos, is really something,” Haynes said. “Generations of students and fans alike will walk past Coach Saban’s statue and be reminded of our 2009 season for many years to come. This was such a fitting way to kick off the 2011 college football season.”

A record 92,310 fans attended Saturday’s pre-season scrimmage and watched the Tide’s Crimson team edge out the White team for a 14-10 victory.

The Tide’s 2011 football season will officially begin on Sept. 3, in a home game against Kent State.

“[Saturday’s] events have gotten me excited for Crimson Tide football already,” Martinez said. “The fans are excited, the students are excited, the players are excited; we’re going to win another national championship this season. I can’t wait.”