Donald Trump adds unique dynamic to race

Donald Trump has dominated the headlines in recent weeks, and not because of his reality show, catchphrase or scandal. With what began as an afterthought or joke has recently become a reality—Donald Trump may run for president.

The billionaire businessman, reality show star and socialite has appeared on numerous talk shows and political networks and has criticized the Obama agenda all along the way.

His biggest problem with President Obama isn’t about a policy or an ultra-left viewpoint. Trump has openly and frequently called for proof of Obama’s birth certificate, which has angered, confused, surprised or pleased many people on both sides of the aisle.

Trump recently sent a group of investigators to Hawaii to look for proof of the birth certificate and has found nothing. Trump thinks that either he wasn’t born in the country, which he said would be “one of the great scams of our time,” or he thinks that there is something on the certificate that Obama doesn’t want the American people to see.

When quizzed on social issues, Trump leans conservative but also tries to be open to other viewpoints. He was pro-choice but now pro-life. He doesn’t favor gay marriage and wants to militarize the border.

For now, Trump seems to be doing almost everything right. He has plenty of media exposure and an extremely recognizable name.

For Trump to be successful in the coming months, he has to do several things.

First, he needs to develop a well-researched and substantial political agenda so that voters can identify him with his views. Trump’s almost cliché, moderate approach to social issues should develop into a clear and concise plan to either support or not support an issue.

Next, he needs to begin his campaign by defining and accepting the shortfalls in his past—including his financial issues and marriages. He must come out honest from the start so that no opponent can dig any skeletons out of the closet.

Finally, he must be seen as approachable by middle-class Americans. Trump’s reality television show, casinos, real estate and golf courses will likely be too his benefit with uninformed or uninterested voters, but he is a product of his childhood where he mingled and knew society’s elite. Trump must be seen as a president who will represent the interests of all people.

Trump’s candidacy will continue to remain a question until late May or early June. Sources close to him confirm that he will run, but at this point all is merely speculation.

Trump’s bold, tell-it-like-it-is personality is almost refreshing amidst the political correctness that our society has become obsessed with.

Even though it is too early to think about who could clinch the next presidential nod, Trump offers an interesting combination to the mix.

Austin Gaddis is a sophomore majoring in public relations and communication studies. His column runs biweekly on Fridays.