Houndstooth is a hot fashion trend, but is the bear the cause?

Unless you have somehow managed to walk around campus with your eyes closed, you have surely noticed that houndstooth is everywhere. While there are traditional items that sport the print, such as hats, backpacks, T-shirts and dresses, there have recently been many more eclectic items, like socks and baby strollers, found adorned in houndstooth.

It is no secret to Alabama students why houndstooth is such a chic item on campus, with Paul “Bear” Bryant’s trademark houndstooth hat remaining a symbol of the football program long after his retirement and death.

But in more recent times, houndstooth is a staple of wardrobes outside of the Alabama fanbase. The possibility of houndstooth’s latest comeback affecting Bear’s legacy is at the very least feasible—if not happening right before our eyes.

Some students do not have that worry, though.

“I think [the houndstooth fashion popularity] is a good thing,” said Corey Tauntam, a freshman majoring in secondary education of social sciences. “During football season, it reflects upon the image well, it’s like we’re remembering what he did for the University.”

Tauntam also had something to say for people that are not familiar with Alabama football, yet still choose to don the signature print.

“I mean, I’m from Orlando, so if I saw someone wearing houndstooth, it wouldn’t be a big deal to me,” Tauntam said. “I wouldn’t think there’s a purpose behind it.”

Tauntam even went as far as to call some of the newer items good for Bear’s legacy.

“I think some of the new things, like the gloves, are really cool,” Tauntam said. “They reflect on the tradition here really well.”

The houndstooth gloves, Tauntam referenced, hit the mainstream during a touchdown celebration from running back Mark Ingram in the 2009 BCS National Championship game, the gloves started a wave of new houndstooth items, including newly-designed hats as well as an inspiration for the Nike Pro Combat uniforms Alabama wore against Mississippi State in 2010.

They were the traditional crimson, but featured gray-and-white houndstooth jersey numbers and helmet stripes.

Tauntam’s views are by no means unanimous throughout the student body.

“I agree with Corey in that overall it’s a good thing,” said Hannah Franklin, a freshman majoring in elementary education. “Since almost everyone on campus has houndstooth and wears it somewhat regularly, it’s a good thing to see so much recognition of the tradition of Alabama football.”

Franklin recognized there were some drawbacks, though.

“But, for people that wear it just because it’s a fashion trend, I can see how that is seen as disrespectful,” Franklin said. “But as long as everyone in the Alabama fanbase wears it for the right reasons, I don’t care about the rest of them.”