HCA wraps up ‘What If’ Film Series tonight

By Lilly Hall

What if every child got an equal, fair education? What if America modeled its public education model on a one-room schoolhouse in France? This Thursday the Honors College Assembly will host the final segment of the “What If” film series for the year with a screening of “To Be and To Have.”

“The ‘What If’ Film Series was started as an idea to expand the [student] experience outside the classroom,” said Austen Parrish, the incoming vice president of the Honors College Assembly.

William Nolan, professor of English rhetoric and film analysis, worked with Honors College students Parrish, Ian King and Hallie Paul to create this year’s education-themed film series.

“This year we chose the theme of education because it is important to students on campus,” Parrish said.

Education has increasingly become a topic for debate in the country. In the recession, budget constraints have brought up a lot of questions concerning education, Nolan said.

The group brainstormed together to pick films for the series.

“Professor Nolan has seen pretty much all relevant documentaries, and he would suggest them to us and give us copies to watch,” King said.

The group then picked films that would be relevant and could be adapted to students on campus, Parrish said.

“Waiting for Superman” was one of the latest films screened, and it produced the largest turnout. The audience members have been passionate and have gotten a lot out of it, Parrish said.

“To Be and To Have,” an older film, is an observational documentary about a one-room schoolhouse in rural France. There is only one teacher who teaches students age four to eleven, until older students go to a regional middle school.

“It shows the teacher is really a leader because he has no resources, but all he needs is himself to provide a good education for the students,” Parrish said.

“One man has devoted his entire life to teaching; showing leadership takes dedication and talent,” King said.

Nolan said this film shows a different model for education than we have in this country.

The screening of the film is open to all students and will take place in the biology auditorium. Pizza is being provided, and there will be a discussion after the screening.

“In the past we’ve had a panel with faculty who leads a discussion about how to apply the film to our lives,” Parrish said. “For this film, we’ll have a led discussion about what it truly means to dedicate your life to being a leader and how it takes a lifetime commitment and innovation.”

Nolan encourages students to come because education is a current issue, and because it is part of a series of cultural events the Honors College Assembly hosts.

“The film itself is entertaining and informative about how this region chooses to educate their children, and it brings new ideas to the table,” Nolan said.

This will be the last film screening for the year, but King said students hope to carry it on.

“We are not sure whether or not the topic will remain the same,” Nolan said. “We do hope to expand it and show films more often.”

If you go:

What: “What If” Film Series Screening of “To Be and To Have”

When: Tonight at 7

Where: Biology Auditorium Room 127