New SGA promises to continue

In order to continue the positive changes taking place on our campus, it is critical that the Student Government Association lead by example.  Yesterday, I was sworn in as the president of the Student Government Association, and I recognize the immense responsibility that comes with this position. Former President James Fowler and his administration have laid the foundation from which we can build, but numerous challenges still remain. I am excited to have the opportunity to continue our positive strides toward an SGA focused on inclusivity, transparency and accountability.

The primary focus of my administration will be unifying our student body, with a spirit of unyielding progress. For too long, our campus has been held back by unwarranted divisions. Recently, actions have taken place and dialogue has opened to explore ways to start removing the inherent biases within campus structure. I pledge to continue these conversations and encourage further action.  Our administration will base every decision we make on the goal of creating a united UA community.

It would be possible for me to write these words and not act upon them.  This is where you, the student body, must hold me accountable. In order for SGA to truly be the voice of every student, it is critical that students take an active role in their government.  Director applications will be available in the coming days, and I encourage every student to follow their passion and apply for a position inside SGA. I urge students to speak out, visit the SGA office, and let us know the issues that concern you most. Through this interaction, we can be sure that our administration remains focused on the concerns of all students.

Under my leadership, SGA will become more accessible than ever before.  We will return to scheduled office hours so students can go online and find out exactly when their elected SGA leaders will be in the office. In addition, we will be committed to keeping students informed through social media outlets. Be sure to follow @UASGA_President on Twitter and keep up with all we do through Facebook. We will create biweekly video addresses discussing major topics relevant to every student. If you ever have a concern, my door will always be open to talk with any student. Through this improved communication, we will guarantee that no student feels left behind.

I intend for SGA to become a beacon of progress on this campus. Using a bottom up approach, we will reform the First Year Council application process to make sure that every incoming freshman has an equal chance to serve the students. By implementing a blind application review and creating a diverse selection committee, we intend to remove any favoritism or bias from the selection process.  Our commitment to diversity is not limited to only the freshman class.  We are in the process of recruiting a representative group of directors to serve the students. Inclusivity does not automatically mean representation; we must ensure that we are not only including a diverse group, but also actively capitalizing on their ideas.

I understand that the expectations for this administration are very high, but so is our potential. My administration cannot become complacent with past progress; we will continue to push forward. Together, and only together, can we truly move from just a UA campus and become a UA community.

Grant Cochran is a junior majoring in biochemistry and the president of the Student Government Association.