Hominy fosters harmony

Last semester, the Canterbury Chapel Student Organization hosted “God and Grits,” an interfaith dinner and discussion. More than 40 people used the opportunity to voice their beliefs without fear of persecution. The result was successful conversation.

“I was extremely pleased,” said Reverend Marc Burnette of the Canterbury Chapel. “I was elated at how well the conversation went and how much positive energy it had.”

Hoping to build more positive energy, Canterbury will host “Grits and the Great Beyond,” tonight at 6. The event, which will take place in the East Dining Hall across from the Ferguson Theater, is open to the entire community free of charge.

This food and forum series spawned from Canterbury’s desire to raise awareness for local food pantries. The Christian fundraiser quickly morphed into an interfaith effort. Canterbury saw possibility in this diversity.

“We can’t waste the opportunity of having all these diverse people and beliefs in one room,” said Lindsay Turner, a junior majoring in musical theatre and outreach officer of the Canterbury student forum.

Turner and others sought to use the opportunity to discuss religious differences. While the first installment of the discussion series was broad in scope, tonight’s conversation will have a specific focus—the afterlife.

“Last time the conversation went in a number of different directions,” Turner said. “Hopefully a more focused theme will make for a more focused discussion.”

Once again, attendees will enjoy a free breakfast for dinner followed by stimulating dialogue. To provide a setting where participants can voice their opinions comfortably, the discussion will feature a moderator. Linn Groft, once again, will act as the discussion’s facilitator.

“When people talk about their beliefs, they can feel vulnerable,” said Groft, a senior in New College interdisciplinary studies. “My role is to encourage participation, to ensure no one party dominates and to hopefully help the conversation go a little bit deeper.”

Groft said she feels her job gets easier as people embrace the respectful atmosphere.

“If the moderator doesn’t have to do much, the conversation is going pretty well,” Groft said.

But facilitating Groft’s job shouldn’t downplay the importance of her service.  People, of course, do disagree. Rev. Burnette believes that guiding an interfaith discussion can lead to fruitful lessons.

“We are all eager to learn about on another’s traditions and beliefs,” Burnette said. “We have to learn from each other in order to learn how to live together.”

Burnette said he feels that the “Great Beyond” is a topic where people can find common ground. After all, most belief systems represented on campus include some view of the afterlife. Often, people’s concepts of afterlife can affect how they live today.

“Our beliefs affect the present moment,” Burnette said. “What we think happens later can change the way we live together today—that’s pretty cool.”

Maybe that promise of paradise will help encourage respectful participation in the forum. Or maybe attendees’ intrinsic curiosity will be enough. Regardless, events like “Grits and the Great Beyond” can foster friendships and tolerance on campus and in the community.

“We can use these meetings to begin relationships,” Burnette said.  “Hopefully people will extend [the relationships] beyond these meetings and into the great beyond.”