Soccer keeps unbeaten streak alive with 2-1 win over Missouri

CW / Joe Will Field

The Alabama soccer team kept its unbeaten streak of games alive, as it defeated Missouri 2-1 on Thursday night.

The streak is the second longest in the SEC this season sitting behind No. 8 South Carolina’s streak of eight straight games. The six-game streak marks the first time since 2002 that Alabama has gone six consecutive games unbeaten.

“What a great result,” coach Wes Hart said in a press release. “It was not the most attractive game we’ve played, but credit to Missouri for making it difficult on us. This is a huge win for us in our quest for a first round bye in Orange Beach and a bid to the NCAA Tournament.”

The Crimson Tide put a point on the board early, with freshman midfielder Carlee Giammona scoring in the second minute, assisted by junior forward Chloe Maize.

The Tigers tied the game six minutes later via a penalty kick from sophomore forward Julissa Cisneros. Both teams continued to fight ferociously, with Alabama and Missouri earning a combined 15 fouls in the first half

After more than 50 minutes of scoreless action, sophomore forward Riley Mattingly gave the Crimson Tide the lead with a penalty goal in the 63rd minute to seal the win.

The Crimson Tide outshot the Tigers 11-10, with three of those shots being on goal. Mattingly led Alabama with four shots, followed by Giammona at three.

Freshman goalkeeper A.J. Crooks allowed only one goal in the contest, acquiring five saves in the win. Crooks now holds the school record of wins as a freshman with five so far this season.

With the win, the Crimson Tide is now 9-4-3 overall, and is 4-2-2 in the SEC. Missouri drops to 7-8-1 with the loss, and is 1-6-1 in the conference. Alabama sits in sole possession of fifth place in the SEC with only two games left in the regular season.

Alabama will return home to face in-state rival Auburn on Sunday Oct. 27 at 1 p.m.