Time for new College Republicans leadership

Looking back on the year, it’s hard to find a more exuberant bunch than Alabama Republicans. In November, the state swept in dozens of new Republicans to the legislature and statewide offices, including our new governor, Robert Bentley. Nationally, the results were similar, as the GOP took back the House of Representatives and made a significant dent in the Senate.

Here on campus, our College Republicans have been carrying the torch. In the fall, we hosted 20 candidates seeking office (of whom 17 won), and this semester we’ve brought five freshman Alabama House representatives to speak to UA students. We’ve built a strong organization, and now it’s time to solidify that strength into the future.

Tonight, at 7 at the Brick House, College Republicans will be hosting this semester’s networking event. We’ll provide appetizers and non-alcoholic drinks to anyone who shows up, and it’ll be the last chance for students to pay their $10 dues to the chapter to be eligible to vote for next year’s CR officers. Eight fine students are running to lead our campus’ Republicans into a competitive election season, so come out and meet them tonight!

Next week, in a show of good faith, we’ll join with the College Democrats to screen “Open Secrets,” a film highlighting Alabama’s constitution. Then, on April 12, we’ll meet in Bidgood Room 223 to elect next year’s officers.

Who we choose to carry the GOP banner into the coming year matters. And it’s our decision in two weeks. Let’s take our responsibility to build the party from the grassroots up seriously by choosing strong leaders for our campus’ future.

CadeAnn Smith is a senior majoring in criminal justice and political science and the chair of UA College Republicans.