RHA hosts Carnival on the Quad

The Residence Hall Association will be hosting the first Carnival on the Quad on Sunday, March 27, from 1 to 5 p.m.

“This is the first time we’re having the Carnival on the Quad, and we’re planning on making it an annual event,” said Desirae Lewis, Bryce Lawn president and co-chair of the RHA programming committee. “We tried to plan quad carnival activities last semester for stress-free relief day, but we decided to push it back because we needed more time to get the items and contracts [settled]. We figured that we could do it during the spring when it’s warm outside and people would come.”

“We have been thinking about hosting an event on the Quad for a while now, but it’s been too cold,” said Paige Hill, Lakeside Hall Council president and co-chair of the RHA programming committee. “Now is just the perfect weather for an event like this. It’s kind of just a way to give back to the students something fun and free and will do a bit of promotion for RHA on the side.”

The carnival, which will have activities spread across the entire Quad, is free to all students, faculty and members of the community. RHA has rented different inflatables from Fun Factory that will be set up for attendees to enjoy.

There will be a gladiator joust, obstacle course, giant slide, cliff hanger, one-on-one sports challenge and wall climbing. A wax hands booth will be available for people to make an unlimited supply of replicated hands. Pizza, popcorn, snow cones and drinks will be served as well. There will be music and kickball, Frisbees and flag football equipment available to play pick-up games.

Hill said RHA would like for Carnival on the Quad to be the association’s biggest event of the year.

“I think a lot of people will already be on the Quad also because the weather has been so beautiful,” Hill said. “Hopefully, they will see us out there and come eat some food and play on the rentals.”

Lewis said they are expecting more than 500 people to be in attendance.

“I hope we have a lot of people come,” Lewis said. “I had contact with a lot of people emailing me about it. I got an email from the Graduate Services for Parents and Students, and they’re going to bring their students and their children.”

Hill said this event is different from other events hosted by RHA before.

“This event is more active, and it will be in a popular area during the busiest time of day,” she said. “So, I think it will be more convenient for people to just drop by, get some food, and even get some RHA swag while they’re there.”

“Residents and students should attend because it’s a great event to come out and meet fellow students, fellow residents that live on campus,” Lewis said. “It’s another event to get you out of your room, to enjoy school, and probably to take your mind off of tests that were given to you this week when you returned back from spring break.”

RHA is planning an event for next month, but there have not been any final decisions made yet. On Sunday, all persons must sign a waiver and get a wristband before using any Fun Factory equipment.