DCAF Featured Artists

MATT WILEY – Piano/Keyboard

Wiley has been studying music for 28 years, playing piano/keyboard professionally for more than 22 years and teaching piano privately for more than 18 years. He holds a bachelor’s of music in jazz studies and performance from the University of Alabama, and he is now a jazz piano professor at the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Wiley has performed all over the globe, sharing the stage with artists such as The New South Jazz Orchestra, The Black Jacket Symphony, Tom Wolfe, The Temptations, UAB Jazz Faculty, Alabama Jazz Ensemble, Birmingham 7, Ryan Kinder, The Night Flight Big Band, Eric Essix, Taylor Hicks and many others. He has entertained governors, senators and heads of state, including a presidential performance at the White House. Although he continues to travel and perform, his passion is sharing his gift of music with others. Matt plays and leads worship regularly at Capstone Church in Tuscaloosa.

He has studied privately with Amanda Penick (University of Alabama), Patty Kirkley (Birmingham-Southern College), Tom Wolfe (University of Alabama), William Devan (Birmingham-Southern College), Bruce Dudley (MTSU/Belmont University) and world-renowned jazz educator, Jerry Coker (University of Miami/University of Tennessee).

BERTEAL – Country Duo

Drawing from a lifetime of shared musical experience, siblings Kim and Chad Gentry have teamed up to create the distinctive, country-influenced sound of Berteal.

Their debut EP, “Queen of the Yellow Light,” is proof of their musical accomplishments. With sophisticated lyrics, memorable melodies and the rich uniqueness of Kim’s lead vocals, the music of Berteal stands out.

For years, the duo played and sang music together in the family home – Kim on piano and Chad on guitar – as well as in church. Having both shown a talent for music at an early age, the siblings do not remember a time when music was not a part of their lives. And country music has always been close to their hearts.

Growing up in a small rural town in southern Indiana, country music was more than just something heard on the radio; it was a way of life. The first concerts they attended featured two of the duo’s idols – Garth Brooks and Vince Gill – hearing their idols solidified Berteal’s deep respect for the genre. Chad loved the guitar technique, and Kim was moved by the way country lyrics always told a story.

The siblings currently live in Alabama and have been busy creating music. In addition to EP tracks “Queen of the Yellow Light,” “My Sometimes Love” and “How I Wanna Be,” the duo has written a dozen more songs that they will be performing live this year.

LEX – Multi-genre

Lex hit the ground running when singer/songwriter Alexa Rankin joined forces with drumming sensation Duncan King. The power and experience of Dave Rankin’s lead electric guitar solidified the lineup. Playing upbeat and emotional originals and a few well-known covers, they put on an entertaining and well-rounded show that is enjoyed by audiences of all ages.  Mixing genres from alternative country to punk pop/rock, Lex has created a sound all their own. Playing the top venues and festivals in their hometown of Birmingham, during their first summer of touring, Lex is now sharing their sound with the rest of the country. ELLE CLAYTORSinger/songwriter

Claytor is a 16-year-old musician from Haleyville, Alabama. Raised in a family of musicians, a passion for performing has been in her blood since she was born. She began singing when she was a child, and she picked up the guitar at the beginning of her teen years. She now performs at festivals and events throughout Alabama and the South. Her voice has a unique sound and is paired with her acoustic guitar during her performances. Her sets usually include classic oldies covers and some originals. Overall, this young girl’s music seems to speak to many people, and it is obvious through her performances that she loves what she does.

AMERICAN FRESHMAN rock

Inspired by acts such as Manchester Orchestra and Brand New, American Freshman aim to ignite Alabama’s flourishing weekend music scene with their emotionally energetic brand of rock. Bored with their attempt at pop-punk, the band, formerly known as Left of Mainstreet, made a decision to progress rather quickly, leaving all of their previous songs behind them.

AMELIA WEBBER – Country/folk/blues singer/songwriter

Webber is a 19-year-old singer/songwriter from Tuscaloosa. She is the oldest of seven talented daughters, all of who have been involved in the arts from very young ages. From Broadway to Bob Dylan, Amelia is inspired by all genres of music but has most recently been compared to Norah Jones, Regina Spektor and Miranda Lambert. Amelia’s “country, folksy, bluesy” fusion is what makes her unique and sure to captivate.

DEEP SOUTH DREAD – Reggae/rock/fusion

Deep South Dread has been playing reggae/rock/fusion around the Tuscaloosa area for the last eight months. They are a six piece band with Sarah Beams on vocals, Kris Gottlieb on lead guitar, Josh Rutherford on bass, Glenn Dillard on sax, George Edmonson on drums and Ryan Beams on rhythm guitar and vocals. Their goal is to create music that everyone can enjoy while hopefully encouraging people to search their hearts, minds and spirits for truth and understanding. Peace, Love, Unity, Respect and Prosperity.

ALICE IN THUNDERLAND

Often compared to artists such as Pat Benatar, Led Zeppelin and Guns ‘N Roses, Alice In Thunderland keeps a classic vibe in their music that audiences are familiar with, while also maintaining a unique identity with their original and cover songs. The members of Alice In Thunderland are passionate for a style of music that is often unappreciated by the current music scene, but they always leave the audience in awe of the talent and professionalism they have as such a young group of musicians.

Alice In Thunderland has had the opportunity to perform with many national touring acts, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doobie Brothers, Guster, The Whigs and Hill Country Revue. Even so, no show has ever been too small for Alice In Thunderland. With that philosophy in mind, Jaclyn Wint on lead vocals, Phillip Blevins on lead guitar, Zac Head on bass guitar and Austin Blevins on drums always bring their best musicianship to every gig. Their polished live performances and catchy original music have developed a large and dedicated local following.

SPACE GHOST

With a propensity for being musically particular and a deep hatred for Nickelback, the four members of Space Ghost embarked on a strange and sweaty trek in the summer of 2010 to find the ultimate “legit” in artistic creativity, a sort of Pilgrim’s Progress but without didacticisms galore.

The group’s music is simultaneously dance-inducing/ecstatic and introspective, a strange dichotomy of synthpop glory and jarring jungle beats (imagine a throng of cardigan-donned academicians explaining the trauma of WWII by making balloon animals). With a live show that exhibits the band’s intensity and energy, Space Ghost reads like a gun pointed to your head shooting a kaleidoscopic blast of confetti all up in yo’ face.

GI MAGUS

“I have to break barriers and push the limits,” says GI. “That’s my motivation, to see change and positively affect future generations.”

Since he was 13 years old, GI has been doing just that, and he doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Born in Jacksonville, N.C., but primarily raised in Birmingham, GI got his start by writing poetry. After connecting with I.N.O.V.I.A., a long time friend, to form the group Battle C.A.T.S., he quickly turned to rapping as his primary means of expression and has been a force ever since.

“All of my inspirations come from life, whatever I see or hear is fuel for the pen,” he says. With that fuel, GI has released numerous projects, just completed his first solo project (BackPaks & BubbleGum) and is already working on future projects. For him, this is just the beginning.

EL CANTADOR

El Cantador is an independent rock band from Mobile that began playing shows in March 2007. Since then the band has toured, released three EPs, made a music video and played music festivals including Next Big Nashville (2009) and The Hangout Beach, Music and Art Festival (2010).

In December 2010, Heath, Sean, and Alex rented a house near the beach, set up a studio, and recorded tracks for their first full-length album. Details regarding its release will be available soon.

MICHAEL BATTITO BAND

This group, formed in January 2011, features Daniel Welch on keyboards, Briana Carrasquillo on saxophone, Jonathan Harms on bass, Will McCarley on drums and Michael Battito on guitar and vocals. Their musical style blends blues, rock, reggae, funk and jazz.

Battito and McCarley have been playing together for a few years and have been searching for other band members since their first bassist, Parker McAnnally, left for Berklee College of Music. Welch first introduced himself after seeing a show at Egan’s, and he fit in perfectly.

Carrasquillo and Battito have been playing jazz together in Tuscaloosa for three years, and the band allows Carrasquillo to take her performance to a new level. Harms was introduced to Carrasquillo and Battito through the jazz studies department at the University in fall 2010.

Battito released an EP in December 2010, titled “Lost in Space-EP,” featuring five original songs. These guys love the music, and they never let a jam go unfinished.

THE BANDAR-LOG

The Bandar-log makes music that makes sense… to them. Sometimes, what a minimalist dance-punk song needs is a guitar solo so over the top it would make Sly Stone weep. Sometimes a folk song needs a handful of slapped bass. Sometimes a doo-wop song requires vocal cords to get bloody. The Bandar-log’s music is not random for the sake of randomness itself. There is method to the madness, but it is hard to explain.

Some of their songs are about bad breakups and unlucky love. Some are hymns about atomic rainfall in the shape of carrion birds. Some of these songs are about going your own way and standing up for your choices in life. At least one of these songs is an imaginary deathbed chat between Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife. All of these songs are about the unseen forces that shape each and every one of us.

Sometimes, music is a game with very strict rules. When it is, we follow those rules like diligent students. But sometimes, music is a ball of lightning. The ball of lightning is shaped like Sasquatch and it beckons you into a fiery forest with a wink and a howl. And we follow that too.